PDA

View Full Version : Noob... Can't connect to my router

axopro
06-10-2005, 02:38 AM
Hi..
I do networks in windows and pc tech... but completely noob and feel so stupid when booting a linux distro.

Ok..
My mobo: Asus P5GD1. Marvel Yukon Gigabit ethernet onboard.
Looks like Knoppix detects the nic because Eth0 is available and i can set an IP address and all stuff using the small wizard clicking on the penguin ...
DHCP is enabled in my Linksys 4 port wireless router. (I am actually connecting via ethernet cable).
ifconfig command does not show any IP address taken from my router.
And using the wizard, setting the IP manually, will not allow me to ping the router or browse any website.

Here are my questions:

1) By having the Eth0 showing with the ifconfig command, and being able to assign an ip address, does that mean that the NIC was successfully detected and running?

2) I couldn't find any "device manager" showing the list of the hardware detected by Knoppix, so i can see if my NIC is there. Is there any graphical list of the hardware available to see when Knoppix is running in the KDE enviroment?

3) Last question and the most important. What should i do to connect to my router and be able to use my network, the browser, etc.

Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
06-10-2005, 02:51 AM
If Knoppix likes your NIC then it will configure it by DHCP at boot time just fine. If you booted Knoppix with that router attached to the PC by an ethernet cable you may already be on the Internet and not even know it. Typ typing a URL in the browser window that opens when Knoppix boot or just click on one of the biult-in links.

If you want you can open a command shell and type ifconfig to see your current settings. (man ifconfig for more details). It should already have an ip address, net mask and such.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a "device manager" thing like you type of, but don't recall exactly where it is. Play around a bit, you should find it.

tdjokic
06-10-2005, 02:55 AM
I am not too much in network stuff, but I think ifconfig is a very good and usefull command, better than GUI. You can use K-> System -> Info center GUI too.

axopro
06-10-2005, 02:56 AM
Thanks Harry..
But i think i was not clear..
I mean that i am NOT getting any IP from my router. I have to set it manually.
Even after setting the local IP 192.168.1.x i am not able to ping my router or get to its web interface (192.168.1.1)
And no... if i try to open any webpage, or ping any url (yahoo, google), i get nothing. Unknown host is what it shows in the browser.
it is like if there is no network card at all.

axopro
06-10-2005, 04:40 AM
Update:

I just realized that i have an extra network card on my PC that i was not using in windows...
This one is a PCI card, and it is a CNET, the most basic and common card around...
I can't believe that "Linux" is not seeing my 2 NICs, or at least working with one of them..
I just read the "man ifconfig" manual using a shell.... and then used the command "ifconfig -a"
I get the loopback ip address for "lo" or something like that.. and no ip address or anything familiar to me from eth0... even after using the "netcardconfig" command.
i don't know what else to try..

Harry Kuhman
06-10-2005, 05:37 AM
Well, there have been issues with the 10/100/1000 interfaces, pretty new and there may not be drivers for them all yet. I didn't see what version of Knoppix you are running, I would try 3.8.2 and even 3.9 (3.9 has other issues, but for getting the newest drivers nothoing helps like the newest release). Are you using one of those or something older?

chris-harry
06-10-2005, 08:24 AM
just wanna see if this works... click the kmenu, goto KNOPPIX, network.. and then i go "Network Card COnfigure", then it'll ask you a question, i click yes, and it finds everything for me auto... i dont know if this'll work... (most likely... i dont know)

Keithj
06-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Been there, done that. I've at last got it working in both directions (ie as a network server). This is what worked for me:

1. K - KNOPPIX - Network/Internet - Network Card Configuration.
You'll probably see eth0 and lo, and maybe more. Just let that bit do whatever it thinks (worked for me)

2. K - KNOPPIX - Services - Start Samba Server

3. K - Control Center - Internet & Network - Local Network Browsing
Is there anything there, under Windows Shares or LISa Daemon?
Try running the Guided LISa setup.

4. K - KNOPPIX - Utilities - Samba Network Neighbourhood.
That will show you if you are "seeing" the network.

That, for me, got my machine looking at the network and accessing the Internet.

If you've got two Ethernet cards in the machine, try removing one and rebooting. Then diagnose them one at a time.

axopro
06-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks Keithj..
But that did not help.
I have version 3.8 and 3.9.
3.9 crashed many times... and i dont know what is the equivalent of Ctrl Alt Del in Linux to close the process giving me the problem.. no key in the whole keyboard respond so i had to use my reset button on the pc... I don't know why they call this "Stable"
I played with other options around that seem to take you somewhere else and may be help... but then i am being ask for the root password, and i don't know it.
I don't know how, i got to a list of drivers that seem to be included into the kernel, and i was able to install any of those... but none of my 2 NICs was listed in there... and there was no option to choose my own driver from a floppy disk.... anyway, at some point, the "enter root password" poped up.
Im getting upset and disappointed with this...
Next thing i would like to try is to install the driver using the floppy i got with this my PCI network card.. it comes with linux drivers.
So how can i do this?.. and what about the root password, because i guess it will ask me for it.
this card is one with a Davicom dm9102af chip on it... very common.
How can i see the list of hardware detected during the boot process?..
Thanks.

drb
06-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Quote from Kanotix forum :

Kanotix 2005-3 is very impressive. Its the first live CD that recognizes my Gigbit Marvell Yukon sk86lin ethernet built into my ASUS mobo as well as my Audigy sound card and PCI-Express nvidia card.

Keithj
06-12-2005, 02:35 AM
i am being ask for the root password, and i don't know it.
So you are working from the CD, and don't have Knoppix installed on your hard drive? Otherwise, the root password is whatever you set when you installed Knoppix.

Without the root password, you aren't going to get far.

Is this a spare machine that you are trying to set up to use Knoppix, or one with other systems on it, that you need to preserve?

If you can afford to "wipe" it, I'd rrecommend installing Knoppix on its hard drive; you will then have a root password and will be able to do all those things.

I would also remove one of those two network cards - they may be clashing.

axopro
06-12-2005, 03:38 AM
Yes.. it is a live cd.. and it is my computer at home.. i will not play with my partitions to install any linux on it.
the 2 cards work perfectly on windows.. so i don't know what is the beef with knoppix....
well.... i give up... this is crap..
may be ill try a full install on the next old HD i get from my customers PC repairs..
Thanks anyway for all your help and ideas..
Good luck.