PDA

View Full Version : MBR & GRUB *solved*

Krogen
06-10-2005, 05:27 AM
Hey everyone,

I just made a new 60 GB partition on my hard drive just for Kanotix. I copied all of my Kanotix stuff to that partition with Norton Ghost (Yes, I did it in Windows). So now I have a big 60GB partition with Kanotix and 10GB partition with the exact same thing. I tried making a new Kanotix boot line in my grub (so it boots from the 60GB partition). Rebooted. Yes, it's there.

Now... The problem comes up...

How can I change it so the grub boots from my new 60GB partition instead of the old 10GB one? I would like to get rid of the old one or make it a backup or a FAT32 so I can share my stuff between Windows and Linux.

I know this isn't a Kanotix forum but most people @ kanotix.com speak German... I speak English... I think ;)

Thanks!

chris-harry
06-10-2005, 08:14 AM
on, you have to configure your grub... meaning, you have to instert code in the grub.config file...

default=[the partion you want's name] <-- thats what you have to kinda insert... but i have never used grub... so me information is limited... sorry.. thats all i can give you...

the most likely place the grub.config file be is /etc/grub.config...

have fun (you can do other stuff there too)...

ruymbeke
06-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Hey everyone,
I just made a new 60 GB partition on my hard drive just for Kanotix. I copied all of my Kanotix stuff to that partition with Norton Ghost (Yes, I did it in Windows). So now I have a big 60GB partition with Kanotix and 10GB partition with the exact same thing. I tried making a new Kanotix boot line in my grub (so it boots from the 60GB partition). Rebooted. Yes, it's there. Now... The problem comes up...
How can I change it so the grub boots from my new 60GB partition instead of the old 10GB one? I would like to get rid of the old one or make it a backup or a FAT32 so I can share my stuff between Windows and Linux.
I know this isn't a Kanotix forum but most people @ kanotix.com speak German... I speak English... I think ;)
Thanks!
You have to modify your menu.lst to access the new drive. To help you to figure out what to change, you can enter the interactive mode of grub once in the grub menu at boot time by pressing the [c] key. the [Tab] key will give you a list of the commands and will perfom autocompletion. As an example you can type "kernel (hd" [TAB] and grub will list you all the disk drives and partitions available. Be aware that for grub (hd0,0) = /dev/hda1 for linux, and (hd1,2) = /dev/hdb3,... Cheers, Gilles

tdjokic
06-10-2005, 04:18 PM
http://forum.kanotix.net/ , than go to English Forum

Krogen
06-10-2005, 04:38 PM
http://forum.kanotix.net/, than go to English Forum

Wow... Really... Like I didn't know. Your link has a , on the end thus making it not work, too. Sorry for being an a$$ but I hate when people are trying to tell other people the obvious...

The whole English forum has only couple thousandths posts!

@ ruymbeke

Which menu.lst would I want to configure? I can access the new drive (partition) and boot from it. The only problem is that I will delete the old one... What's the point of modifying menu.lst on that partition if I want to delete it? *confused*

ruymbeke
06-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Which menu.lst would I want to configure? I can access the new drive (partition) and boot from it. The only problem is that I will delete the old one... What's the point of modifying menu.lst on that partition if I want to delete it? *confused*
First you need to reinstall grub with the same settings: the install will update both the MBR of the disk and the boot sector of one partition of your new disk. Then everything should work right if your config is correct. What I was trying to tell you is that if something goes wrong, you have access to a command line prompt, to figure out how to boot. With the "e" key (edit) from the grub menu you can temporary modify one menu.lst boot config to make a correction and boot. This kind of things is not possible with lilo... Hope this helps. Good luck, Gilles

Krogen
06-10-2005, 06:17 PM
First you need to reinstall grub with the same settings: the install will update both the MBR of the disk and the boot sector of one partition of your new disk. Then everything should work right if your config is correct. What I was trying to tell you is that if something goes wrong, you have access to a command line prompt, to figure out how to boot. With the "e" key (edit) from the grub menu you can temporary modify one menu.lst boot config to make a correction and boot. This kind of things is not possible with lilo... Hope this helps. Good luck, Gilles

SUCCESS!!

I rebooted my PC, pressed "c" in the Grub menu and did "setup (hd0) (hd0,1)", which installed the Grub to the 60GB partition. Rebooted again. Went to Windows, formatted the sda4 (10GB partition) as FAT32. Rebooted. Selected the new Kanotix boot line, booted. Got an error that it can't find SDA4 (at least that's how I understood the error message). Rebooted again with the Knoppix Live CD. Went to the fstab file on my 60GB partition, edited it so instead of SDA4 it says SDA2, rebooted.

WORKS.

Thanks!!! (Without the general reinstalling idea I woulnd't know what to do)