PDA

View Full Version : UPGRADING KNOPPIX 3.1 to 3.2

sgk
04-17-2003, 11:54 AM
I have installed KNOPPIX 3.1 on a ASUS Laptop (it works fine!) and customized it to work with Greek Localization, installed several packages, etc. Now, I just downloaded KNOPPIX 3.2 and I would like to UPGRADE without losing my installed environment and packages! How could I do that? :?:

MattT
04-17-2003, 05:50 PM
To save your old environment you have to put /home on a different partition. To do this copy /home over:
cp -Rpf /home /mnt/hda#
where # is the partition number.

Then just reinstall Knoppix. Then to get your old environment working with the new install go to the text file /etc/fstab. Add the line
/dev/hda# /home your_file_system defaults 0 0
Changing # and your_file_system to the correct values.

This method will still requier reinstalling individual programs but the configuration files for those programs will still be set up in your /home.

Stephen
04-17-2003, 07:36 PM
I have installed KNOPPIX 3.1 on a ASUS Laptop (it works fine!) and customized it to work with Greek Localization, installed several packages, etc. Now, I just downloaded KNOPPIX 3.2 and I would like to UPGRADE without losing my installed environment and packages! How could I do that? :?:

You could save your /home as was suggested above and if you want to have exactly the same packages then dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt to save a file of your current packages then after you re-install then dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt to restore your old packages then just apt-get update and upgrade to restore the old programs. Also you will need to back up any configuration files you changed.

What exactly is it you need in 3.2 this seems like a lot of trouble to go through when you could just install the packages you need.

rickenbacherus
04-17-2003, 07:43 PM
I installed Knoppix 2 months ago. Now I want to upgrade. Should I reinstall Knoppix, or should I just do 'apt-get upgrade' ?

In my sources.list, I see the following unofficial Debian sources, so I am afraid I might bread my system if I do 'apt-get upgrade'.

'deb ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian/sid ./
deb-src ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian/sid/ ./

# kdevelop
deb http://people.debian.org/~njordan kde3.0-woody/

You're talking about two different upgrades. Upgrading Knoppix to the current release (3.2-04-15) is what this post is about. If 3.2 has something you want then follow the above directions to keep your current settings. If you want to start fresh, just reinstall without saving your /home directory.

apt-get upgrade is upgrading all available packages to their latest version. You can comment out anything in your sources list that you don't want to upgrade. Personally I only upgrade security and testing (and a few other things I don't have access to right now). That's just my preference however. Several people leave their sources.list as it is and it works fine. Have you done man apt-get? Maybe you could do a little apt-getting on your current install to get a feel for it and then install 3.2.

Stephen
04-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Sorry about that rickenbacherus I split the post as you were replying.

rickenbacherus
04-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Sorry about that rickenbacherus I split the post as you were replying.

Oh sure you're just trying to sabbotage me! :D

...no problem eh