PDA

View Full Version : Updating kernel

Killerah
06-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Hello, I'm trying to update the kernel in the 3.6-B DVD to 2.6.11, and I tried just building it from the source and failed miserably because I'm a total noob. So I was wondering if there's any way I can just install it from the 3.9 CD? Could I just install 3.6-B DVD on my hard drive and then install 3.9 over it? Would that work? Or could I maybe install the 3.9 CD and then use the install software while running from disc command on the 3.6-B disc? Or is there some command that I could put into the console that would install the kernel for me?

Thanks

-Nate

chris-harry
06-11-2005, 07:04 AM
you could go over to the debian site, because knoppix is debian based... and actually download it from there... www.debian.org...

I'll give you a direct link there...

http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/

or you could try apt-get in a shell... but i dont know the exact code for that... hopefully i have been of some assistance...

Killerah
06-12-2005, 03:43 PM
I just want to be able to easily install the latest kernel. I tried getting 2.6.11.11 off kernel.org, and I followed a guide that showed me how to configure it and compile it and all that, but that didn't work at all, I probably screwed it up because there were tons of errors on the final step. So I guess what I'm looking for is some way to automatically install the 2.6.11.11 kernel. Maybe some script?

Thanks

-Nate

Markus
06-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Kanotix has a script for kernels but AFAIK they aren't compatible with knoppix. How did you compile the kernel? Something like this?:
Ctrl-Alt-F1
login as: root
init 3 (not needed, but frees some memory for compiling)
cd /usr/src
dselect update
apt-get install linux-kernel-headers (removes the knoppix version)
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.11.11.tar.bz2
tar xvjf linux-2.6.11.11.tar.bz2
rm linux
ln -s linux-2.6.11.11 linux
cp /boot/config-2.6.11 linux/.config
cd linux
make oldconfig (hit enter for default answer on questions)
make menuconfig (leave out unneeded stuff for your computer)
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --append-to-version=-110605 kernel_image (use any date or name)
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.11.11-110605_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
mcedit /boot/grub/menu.lst (check the added part)
reboot to new kernel