PDA

View Full Version : Missing CDROM drive

Keithj
06-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I think I'm getting closer to finding my "missing" CDROM, but can anyone help?

I can boot from the CDROM drive (that's how I installed Knoppix) but thereafter the CDROM seems not to exist. I just get error messages that /dev/cdrom does not exist. I tried accessing it from one of the other (Windows) machines on the network, and got an error message there too, BUT there's a bit more information in the Samba log, as follows:

mount: can't find /mnt/auto/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
[2005/06/10 17:50:33, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(615)
'/mnt/auto/cdrom' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [cdrom]
[2005/06/10 17:50:34, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(615)
'/mnt/auto/cdrom' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [cdrom]
[2005/06/10 17:50:36, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(615)
[2005/06/10 20:21:15, 0] smbd/server.c:main(798)

It looks as if there is disagreement somewhere in the configs about where the CDROM should be mounted - /dev/ or /mnt/auto/. Can anyone give me a clue as to where to go to edit and fix that? In idiot-speak for me please!

Harry Kuhman
06-10-2005, 09:23 PM
I can boot from the CDROM drive (that's how I installed Knoppix) but thereafter....
If you have installed Knoppix on a hard disk that I would suggest that this is likely just one of the man many problems that occur after a hard disk install. Sure, hardware is involved, but hardware is involved any time you are running Knoppix unless you are very very good at running throuh op-codes in your head. I think this problem has a much better chance of finding a resolution if posted in the HDD Install forum than in the hardware forum. Would you like me to move it for you?

Keithj
06-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks - but the problem is solved. It's working flawlessly now - 20 minutes or so later! The answer is here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17348&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0).