PDA

View Full Version : Boot from Firewire HD advice??

bigkahuna
06-10-2005, 11:44 PM
It looks like I'm running out of space on my lowly dual boot notebook, so I'm thinking about installing Kanotix to my external Firewire hard drive. I've done a little bit of homework on this already, but I'm not sure how to go about this. This is what I'd like my installation to do:

1. Boot grub on the notebook's internal HD, and set the default boot option to Windoze. That way if the HD is not turned on or connected (and I don't catch it in time) it will boot directly into Windoze.

2. Create a fairly large partition for Linux. I'm thinking something between 5 - 30 gb, but I'm not sure. This will go on the first partition of my external HD (sda1) which has 160 gb.

Any advice on how to set this up? I'm especially unclear on how to setup the boot so it will boot off the internal HD, but go to the external firewire drive if selected. My notebook's BIOS does not support booting from an external device (but it does support booting from CD-ROM, internal HD, floppy or network). I've looked at "pivot-boot", but would rather not use this method if I can avoid it.

Thanks!!