PDA

View Full Version : Slow booting

johnsmith01
06-11-2005, 12:40 AM
well i installed knoppix it was all ok ,the first time i booted , but know it takes like 5 minustes to start after i put my password, what is the problem , can anyone help? it gets stuck in the system configuration

UnderScore
06-11-2005, 02:20 AM
We need more info. Look at your request for help from my point of view:

"well i installed knoppix it was all ok ,the first time i booted , but know it takes like 5 minustes to start after i put my password, what is the problem , can anyone help? it gets stuck in the system configuration"

Am I suppose to guess or read minds through the internet?
I assume this is a HD install of Knoppix. What version? On what hardware? Pentium4-3.0GHz? Pentium3 700Mhz?

It is probably related to either your $HOME/.kde/ config files or related to the version/builds of the KDE binaries. you can move the $HOME/.kde directory to a separate location & then run KDE. It should ask you to reconfigure your personal KDE settings.
cd $HOME
mkdir backup
mv .kde backup

As for the build of the binaries, are you running Knoppix installed to HD as Debian?

johnsmith01
06-11-2005, 08:03 AM
sorry , it's knoppix 3.9 and it's pentium III and well i stupidly deleted the root but installed back again , and the problem was solved , probably because of the fact that the configuration it had , was as debian and changed it to detect hardware , hmmm i read the other thread but there's no kde folder on the root , and well , if i wanna uninstall linux , how do i do it ?

johnsmith01
06-11-2005, 08:04 AM
what's the difference between installing it as debian or the other optionbs?