PDA

View Full Version : accessibility for the blind

babelbrennt
06-11-2005, 10:58 AM
A friend of mine who is blind would like to try knoppix. Are there any accessibility features similar to Jaws/SuperNova for windows.Someone showed her an accessibility tool for Fedora which gave magnification and some sort of voice supported menuing but which had some limitations since she couldn't access K-Menu and some other functions without using a mouse (which she is not able to do as she can't see to click) and she can't see to log in. be very gratefull for some help. :D

babelbrennt
06-12-2005, 01:18 AM
I've checked up on KDE3.4, which I think is the version used for knoppix 3.9. It is supposed to have applications such as KMouth,KMagnifier, KSayIt, KMouse tools and ktts on it. I have checked the menus in Knoppix. Am I looking in the wrong place

UnderScore
06-12-2005, 03:09 AM
Those accessibility programs for KDE are probably not included because of space issues. There is only so much space on 1 CD so tradeoffs are made & some extra programs are dropped.

babelbrennt
09-05-2005, 12:58 AM
anyone reading this who knows how to use screader/emacspeaks (I don't even understand how to get to the commandline bit without using my mouse) or how to configure speakup ( it is a kernel patch)please leave a message.So far I have konq-speaks for konqueror, yasr for the Konsole and emacspeaks and screader. It would be nice to have something that can read GUIs so that's why I would like to understand speakup. With screader I don't really understand what it is supposed to do and the instructions on its web page are not clear to me at least. I am a bit slow so I need you to keep it SIMPLE. By the way is there anyway of changing the voices on these applications.

babelbrennt
09-05-2005, 01:00 AM
ps if you are reading this in 2006 still reply.