PDA

View Full Version : CD-ROM recognition problem

Ritchie
04-17-2003, 02:45 PM
I am newbie knoppix user, downloaded and burnt 3.2 2003-03-30. Works brilliantly and I am amazed. However I have one small problem which I would be grateful for advice on.

When my pc boots Knoppix recognises both my DVD and CRW, and then on the desktop install icons for CD and CD1. However when I place say a music CD in the empty drive, the message "the drive does not exist" keeps coming up. If i try a mnt command it says the same thing.

The same thing happens which ever drive I put knoppix in when I boot.

I don't understand how the boot up text says it has found and mnt'd FDD, CD and CD1, but on the desktop says that the second drive doesn't exist. I want to be able to play music CDs in the empty drive

Can anyone help please

TIA Ritchie

rickenbacherus
04-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Are both drives listed in /etc/fstab?

Ritchie
04-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Thank you very much for replying.

yes both drives are listed. I have now solved the problem. Could nto rationalise why they would listed every where but the one not available.....then i made a discovery :oops:

if u right click on the icon on the desktop, u get a menu, put in amusic cd and it plays!!!!.......

I apologise for wasting people's time and am grateful for the reply. my only excuse is being new to linux.sorry and thanks again

Ritchie

rickenbacherus
04-18-2003, 12:07 AM
No need to apologize but since we're on the subject of cdroms....you cannot mount a music cd, only a data cd. You don't want to auto mount a cdrom because if there is no disc it cannot mount.