PDA

View Full Version : Unable to browse the internet with Knoppix version 3.9

siggy
06-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Can browse with Knoppix 3.8.1 with both Firefox and Konqouor. Installed Knoppix 3.9 error messages "can not find www.knoppix.net" or any other web site. On network card configuration this is what the Terminal message reads from Netcardconfig: "Sending DHCP broadcast from local device eth0failed to connect to local host:bootpc: Network is ureachable". Using Knoppix 3.9 as a "live" OS it connects fine. Is there some kind of bug when installing Knoppix 3.9 to my HDD? :(

eco2geek
06-12-2005, 05:44 AM
Yes. To quote Martin Kranzkowski in this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19330):

cause of this problem is, that interface "lo" is not properly deconfigured on system shutdown. Thus, "lo" won't be properly configured on system bootup. /etc/network/run/ifstate has to be deleted on system shutdown by /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean. The link from /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean to /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean is missing.

You can add this link for proper function, or - if You dont know how to do this - just reinstall ifupdown via apt (--reinstall). This will fix it, too.

Klaus Knopper is already informed of this problem and will fix it in the next installer.

Please post your results back, as I installed Kanotix over Knoppix before trying this fix.

siggy
06-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Yes. To quote Martin Kranzkowski in this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19330):

cause of this problem is, that interface "lo" is not properly deconfigured on system shutdown. Thus, "lo" won't be properly configured on system bootup. /etc/network/run/ifstate has to be deleted on system shutdown by /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean. The link from /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean to /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean is missing.

You can add this link for proper function, or - if You dont know how to do this - just reinstall ifupdown via apt (--reinstall). This will fix it, too.

Klaus Knopper is already informed of this problem and will fix it in the next installer.

Please post your results back, as I installed Kanotix over Knoppix before trying this fix.

Reinstalled the whole release 3.9, but this time I used the beginer, multi-user and detect hardware install method and that took care of my lost internet connection. :)

detlef_mue
06-25-2005, 01:07 PM
I had the same problem as described before.
The solution creating a symbolic link /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean seems to be working. .... :D

Thanks for help.

Radix
07-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Oh great, and I just posted in the other thread about this :oops:
Can anyone here tell me how to do this step by step?
Thanks
Radix

UnderScore
07-11-2005, 06:56 AM
As root:
ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean