PDA

View Full Version : how to install programs

dominican2589
06-12-2005, 01:32 AM
I am currently running Knoppix on CD just learned that i cannot install new promgrams because it is a CD. well i went online looking for programs available to download for linux and went to Firefox. I went to go see how it would install and i saw a bunch of codes

Now my question is, when installing programs is it like windows and all i have to do is active the program and then it will install itself or do i need to learn about these codeS?

tdjokic
06-12-2005, 01:47 AM
There are special programs for installing other programs in Linux. Go to K-> System -> Kpackage (or Synaptic) and take a look for a moment, just to become familliar with diferent functions.

fingers99
06-12-2005, 02:07 AM
The only way to install programes when running Knoppix from a CD is to use Klik -- there's a whole forum devoted to Klik here.

When you install Knoppix (although Kanotix is a wiser move -- it's essentially a Knoppix designed to be installed to HD) to HD it becomes Debian, and you can install programes much more easily than on Windows.

Just pop open Synaptic (on Knoppix HD installs you need to connect to the Internet and do (from a Terminal Window -- the little TV screen icon at bottom left):

su
(prompt for root password)
apt-get update && apt-get install synaptic && exit

first

and highlight the program you want to install -- it's pretty self explanatory.

Of course, you can install tarballs (.tar.gz, .bz2, .tgz) -- AKA building from source (code) but this is generally not necessary and not a good idea as it breaks the ability of apt-get to upgrade stuff.

dominican2589
06-12-2005, 02:55 AM
Just pop open Synaptic (on Knoppix HD installs you need to connect to the Internet and do (from a Terminal Window -- the little TV screen icon at bottom left):

su
(prompt for root password)
apt-get update && apt-get install synaptic && exit

first

and highlight the program you want to install -- it's pretty self explanatory.

Of course, you can install tarballs (.tar.gz, .bz2, .tgz) -- AKA building from source (code) but this is generally not necessary and not a good idea as it breaks the ability of apt-get to upgrade stuff.

i do not reallt understand what you meant by this. can you explain it better? you say it is easier than windows but on windows there is not need for me to use those codes u posted

fingers99
06-12-2005, 03:58 AM
i do not reallt understand what you meant by this. can you explain it better? you say it is easier than windows but on windows there is not need for me to use those codes u posted

OK, to install programmes on a HD install of Knoppix/Kanotix or any Debian based system, the easiest way is to use Synaptic. You launch Synaptic from the Kmenu (the icon with the K on it). Kmenu>System>Synaptic.

Synaptic tells you what programs are installed, what's available to install, what upgrades are available and so on. It's probably the best package manager out there. It automatically resolves dependencies and thus avoids the rpm hell which other distros have or the dll hell which is so common in windows.

The advantages over Windows are (at least!) fourfold:

1. Windows programmes often install a dll which screws up other installed programs.
2. Windows programes often insist you enter a validation code.
3. Windows programs usually involve you buying something (and signing over your rights).
4. Windows programs come complete with an installer (which is a dreadful waste of space and/or bandwidth)

In effect, Synaptic is the installer/uninstaller -- it's a graphical front-end to apt-get.

These packages are called .deb and are binary (as opposed to source) packages.

Source packages are source code -- they have to be compiled. As they are not Debian packages they cannot be handled by apt-get or synaptic, so neither dependencies or upgrades can be done through apt-get or Synaptic.

UnderScore
06-12-2005, 05:00 AM
Knoppix 3.9 CD is buggy and installing programs in a running system may crash that system. See http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27.

As for installing programs on Knoppix 3.8.x or on a HD install. Practically every Linux system uses a concept of a software package management system. This manager keeps a log of all the programs installed on your system, keeps a listing of all programs NOT installed on your system, and easily identifies upgradable programs. This sounds similar to windowsupdate.microsoft.com but it way wider in scope (not just MS programs). A linux user MUST be familiar with the package manager in order to install software. There are usually two methods of manipulating the package system: either by command line or by a GUI utility. Unless you need to install, remove, & update loads of programs at once, the command line utility is usually quicker but obviously not as friendly. So in knoppix you want to install a DOS emulator so you can play an old DOS game. A Google search for: DOS program run on linux (http://www.google.com/search?q=dos+program+run+on+linux). One of the links is to DOSBox - A DOS Emulator http://users.netwit.net.au/~pursang/dosbox.html. So then I go to http://packages.debian.org and search for DOSbox under ANY (http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=dosbox&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all) and I discover that it is in the Debian package management system. So to install DOSBox on Knoppix 3.8.x or on a HD install (assuming the network is properly configured & the machine can access the internet) is as simple running two commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dosbox
The first commands refreshes the lastest package info from the package servers. Then second command tells the system to install dosbox. It will download, decompress, and setup it up for you. The total download size start to finish is about 10MB.

If this is too much command line mumbo-jumbo, then I agree. That is why GUI tools were made to allow easy access to the package management system. Run the program synaptic or kpackage. Do a FIND or CTRL-F. Type dosbox. It will find the package. Click apply and it will download, decompress, and set it up for you. Once you understand that software installation in Linux is different, then you will realize that it is frequently just as simple as windows.

dominican2589
06-12-2005, 06:03 AM
if i were to install dosbox, must i download it to linux first and then do a find or just do a find?

to see if i get this right: Lets say i want to download the Linux version of AIM. I got to aim.com and download their file. Then after that i do a find and tell it to install and thats it?

and also, why did you have to search for it on Debian? what is the purpose of that?

UnderScore
06-12-2005, 06:19 AM
if i were to install dosbox, must i download it to linux first and then do a find or just do a find?If you are running Knoppix 3.8.x from CD or installed from HD and if the internet connection is working, to install a program like dosbox, first update the lists:
sudo apt-get update
then install dosbox:
sudo apt-get install dosbox
or you could install firefox:
sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox

Again, this is all done at a command line. if you want a graphical tool, then you must install it. Update the lists:
sudo apt-get update
Then install synaptic:
sudo apt-get install synaptic
Then run synaptic:
sudo synaptic

to see if i get this right: Lets say i want to download the Linux version of AIM. I got to aim.com and download their file. Then after that i do a find and tell it to install and thats it?Sure you could download the official aim program, but Knoppix includes a instant message program called gaim. Gaim will work with not only AOL IM but also yahoo & MSN. If you really want to use the official linux version of aim from AOL (http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp#install), then download it and follow the instructions on that site (http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp#deb2).

and also, why did you have to search for it on Debian? what is the purpose of that?If you needed to write a small note to your brother on a piece of paper, is it quicker & easier to borrow a pencil from a friend than going to a store to purchase a pencil? Knoppix is based on Debian and Debian is the foundation of all of Knoppix's programs. If you intend to install a program, the easiest & quickest method is to first check if that program is available in Debian at http://packages.debian.org
If the program available through Debian then you may have to use another method of installing that program.

dominican2589
06-12-2005, 06:27 AM
ok on AIM, it has codes in it, i wouldnt be able to install it with the programs u said (synaptic or kpackage) or is that the only way to install it?

Also I am pretty sure that the version i downloaded was 3.9 and i didnt see Gaim as one of the programs on it. Where would i find that?

the packages on Debian, they aren't popular programs like lets say firefox or umm, Limewire right? are they packages created by just orndinsry people?

Just in case, all i have is the Live CD, i havent installed it on a hd yet

UnderScore
06-12-2005, 06:36 AM
ok on AIM, it has codes in it, i wouldnt be able to install it with the programs u said (synaptic or kpackage) or is that the only way to install it?You are correct. Synaptic & kpackge are only to be used to install packages from the Debian system. To install a package or program not in Debian, you must follow the instructions on the program's website.

Also I am pretty sure that the version i downloaded was 3.9 and i didnt see Gaim as one of the programs on it. Where would i find that? In order to run many of those programs, you can just type in the name at the command line. To run gaim, type:
gaim
You can also find it in the menu under internet.

the packages on Debian, they aren't popular programs like lets say firefox or umm, Limewire right? are they packages created by just orndinsry people? Here is a list of all of the programs contained on the Knoppix CD. http://debian.ams.sunysb.edu/knoppix/packages.txt
As you can see in that list, Knoppix includes firefox 1.0.4. You can search to see if Debian includes limewire at http://packages.debian.org

dominican2589
06-12-2005, 07:30 AM
thanks a lot for clearing this up

Now i kno that synaptic or kpackage only shows packets from Debian and nothing else and i understand how to install programs