PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.9 What Happened to USB detection??

ricardomardi
06-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Just wondering why Knoppix 3.9 has deliberately not kept de the 'Devices' file browser?
I can't understand why this has been left out.

Am I missing something here? Why make it harder to plug a USB drive into a Knoppix box?

eco2geek
06-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Knoppix 3.9 didn't "deliberately" leave it out, Knoppix switched to KDE 3.4. KDE 3.4 replaced the "devices:/" protocol with the "media:/" protocol. (In Konqueror, you can right-click on "Devices", select "Properties", and change the URL from "devices:/" to "media:/".)

UnderScore
06-13-2005, 10:15 PM
As for why USB devices, as of late, have so many problems: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82161#82161

3. tried to mount my Lexar usb drive where I keep my install goodies. Wouldn't mount .... DMESG showed SDA1 now called UBA1..... why ???
This is due to a linux kernel change. The very brain of the OS, the Linux kernel version 2.6.x, the internal architechture has changed and this has resulted in USB devices mapped to /dev/uba. Yes this is frustrating but going forward, this may be a permanent change. It is more logical to have USB devices at a /dev/uba1 as opposed to /dev/sda1 because /dev/sd? was created years ago for SCSI devices.This change occured in the time between Knoppix 3.7 & 3.8.x and the change is resident in Knoppix 3.8.x & up.