PDA

View Full Version : How to set screen resolution?

Islington
06-13-2005, 08:51 PM
I use a pc with 1024X768 monitor, how do I set knoppix to use the whole screen and not part of it?
complete noob, any help would be loved.thanks.

Islington
06-13-2005, 09:01 PM
I use a pc with 1024X768 monitor, how do I set knoppix to use the whole screen and not part of it?
complete noob, any help would be loved.thanks.That was retarded. Clarification:When I run Knoppix it uses only part of my screen, how can I fix this?

UnderScore
06-13-2005, 09:13 PM
What video card do you have? What monitor do you have? We are unable to help you if we do not know what hardware you have. You've described the symptoms of the problem but we need more info. It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware (perhaps getting it wrong) & then maybe setting a resolution & refresh rate that is either not the native (best) or it is beyond the capabilities of the hardware.

Islington
06-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Solved the problem by using desktop options to make knoppix use the entire screen, this doesnt seem to have an effect on windows when I reboot without CD, and now as I reboot Knoppix it uses the whole screen.

There is however one small question at the back of my mind, when booting Knoppix, it gives me a message as such:

You have passed an undefined mode number:

giving me the option of hitting <return> to see my choices.
or<space> to continue
or wait for 30 seconds.

upon hitting return I am presented 6 choices or "scan"
these 6 choices are labeled rowsXcolumns
typing scan turns off my monitor instead of giving me extra options.

currently I have been ignoring this and just hitting space, should I be doing something else? should I be worried? I orignally thought that this might be the cause of the orignal problem but as I said before changing the monitor options seems to have worked.

UnderScore
06-15-2005, 07:33 PM
currently I have been ignoring this and just hitting space, should I be doing something else? should I be worried? I orignally thought that this might be the cause of the orignal problem but as I said before changing the monitor options seems to have worked.There shouldbe no problem with that as it is only related to the text mode command line session of linux.

clarjon1
06-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Did you try adjusting the size and position on the monitor itself? Sometimes monitors set themselves for wacky size and positioning with different screen resolutions.