PDA

View Full Version : Turning on Hardware Acceleration (Low FPS in openGL)

uberphoenix
06-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Alright. I am relativlety new to linux. I downloaded and ran cube, and noticed FPS were running at about 7 fps, and my graphics card is a MSI FX 5200 TDR128 which is better than the optimal specs on the instruction manual that came with cube "ideal spec: 1ghz and gf3/radeon8500 or better (fluent in all cases)"..This is odd because most openGL progs installed on windoze2000 (my machines a dual boot) run like 30-50 fps. It said something about changing OpenGL support from MESA to actual hardware acceleration. "I have an amazing graphics card but Cube still runs at 9 fps!
Cube is somehow running on software OpenGL. This can happen because you are on a default windows install and haven't installed the latest drivers for your card, or similarly on Linux the system is using Mesa instead of accellerated drivers" So I got the Nvidia drivers and YanC but when I execute the .run program for the drivers it says I have to turn off Xserver. Can someone show me how to do this?

Or If theres a better way I will do it. All I need accomplished is to enable hardware acceleration so OpenGL actually runs well. All advice/comments/help appreciated.
Thanks,
Phoenix

UnderScore
06-14-2005, 04:13 AM
This is not an official point of view but just my opinion.

A car is not designed for a good night of sleep. You can sleep in a car but unless you are dead tired, it is something that probably should not be done. Knoppix is not designed to be installed to the hard drive. It is designed to be a bootable CD. Sure it CAN be installed to the HD but it unless you are very experienced, it is something that should not be done. Or in other words, a hammer is a good hammer but make a poor knife.

A Knoppix install on a HD is very difficult to administrate, add/remove software & get new drivers. Some may feel that they can deal with the oddities & the quirks, but if it were all easy, then why are there so many people with problems after a HD install.

If you want a boot from CD drive then use a Debian based live CD like Knoppix. If you want to install Knoppix to the HD (which is really Debian) then skip Knoppix & install Debian 3.1 released Mon June 6. If you want a pre-configured user-oriented desktop PC (not server) Debian based distro use Ubuntu (GNOME desktop) or Kubuntu (KDE desktop) or see Fedora Core 4 (released today June 13). If you want a real noob friendly desktop Debian based distro & are willing to pay a small yearly price for support & software updates use Linspire.

I hope someone else can help you with your nvidia driver problem.