PDA

View Full Version : Booting Prob

brian_bizzle
06-15-2005, 07:25 AM
I am a knoppix newbie. :) But I have read a lot of threads, looking for an answer to my prob and haven't found one. I apoligize in advance if I have over looked the answer.

I dl'ed knoppix 3.9 from a mirror and checked it using md5. burned it at a slow speed (4x). Set my BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first, and it does that, but after it starts to load I get a command promt (A:\). I am able to change the drive letter on that command prompt, but I'm not sure what to do from there in order to get knoppix up and running. thanx

I have read some threads about SATA probs. I am running A RAIDw/2 SATA drives

UnderScore
06-15-2005, 02:02 PM
I am a knoppix newbie. :) But I have read a lot of threads, looking for an answer to my prob and haven't found one. I apoligize in advance if I have over looked the answer.Its good that you looked before asking. That shows you are smart & shows inititiave.
I dl'ed knoppix 3.9 from a mirror and checked it using md5. burned it at a slow speed (4x). Set my BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first, and it does that, but after it starts to load I get a command promt (A:\). I am able to change the drive letter on that command prompt, but I'm not sure what to do from there in order to get knoppix up and running. thanxYou checked md5? good. You burned it slow? good. It comes up as A:? Not good. The ISO needs to be burned as an image & not as a bootable disc. See this thread were someone had a similar problem. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19451
I have read some threads about SATA probs. I am running A RAIDw/2 SATA drivesYes you may have some unsupported hardware.

Good start so far brian.
I hope this helps.
James

brian_bizzle
06-16-2005, 04:07 AM
:D It worked!!! I was under the assumption that the disc had to be bootable since my comp used it to boot, but I guess not. I Burned it as an ISO image at the slow slow 4x speed suggested and everything worked. Thanx for the help!!!! I'll keep on reading the threads too. :D