PDA

View Full Version : Contents of the Knoppix Disk

Dunkit
06-15-2005, 01:37 PM
What is the name of the file on the Knoppix disk that Knoppix boots from cos i'm trying to make a boot.ini file to automatically boot Knoppix from my D:\ drive using a floppy disk so i can override my BIOS because i lost the password. Thanks.

Dave_Bechtel
06-16-2005, 05:45 AM
--Might be easier to just unplug the CMOS battery for ~10 minutes. :oops:

What is the name of the file on the Knoppix disk that Knoppix boots from cos i'm trying to make a boot.ini file to automatically boot Knoppix from my D:\ drive using a floppy disk so i can override my BIOS because i lost the password. Thanks.

maxIT
06-16-2005, 06:36 AM
Take a look at this thread that explain to you how to make a bat/autoexec file in order to boot knoppix from floppy either HD:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12520

Dunkit
06-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks, but I want to make it boot from the boot disk not my HD. I had a poke around in the folders on the disk but couldn't find anything obvious like 'knoppboot.lnx' or something...

and i don't want to risk knacking up the motherboard on my dad's computer.

UnderScore
06-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Making boot floppies from Knoppix is now deprecated and will not work with Knoppix 3.7 & up. If you really want to boot Knoppix from a floppy then you should use http://btmgr.webframe.org/ Smart Boot Manager. You can search the forums to get more help with SBM.

Harry Kuhman
06-23-2005, 10:14 PM
and i don't want to risk knacking up the motherboard on my dad's computer.
First you lost the password, now it's not even your computer.

Maybe there is nothing wrong going on here, but do you see how this at least looks like you are trying to get others to help you get past something the owner of the computer doesn't want you to get past? That was certainly my reason in not posting the correct answer when the "I lost the password" thing was posted originally, and that the story seems to be changing is further reason that I'm not giving instructions now.

Dunkit
06-23-2005, 10:19 PM
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

I want to make a floppy disk with a file on it called boot.ini that says this:

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /sos
D:\="Boot from drive D:\" /sos

which lets me choose windows xp (uuugh...)
or my CDROM drive,
but i need to know the file that knoppix uses when you boot from the CD to make everything happen, because just putting D:\ doesn't work because it needs to know what to boot. Do i make sense, or am i trying to do the impossible, or is what im trying to do messed up in some way because i dont know enough?

Dunkit
06-23-2005, 10:23 PM
it is my dads computer, which is why i dont want to do anything physical to it, but i did honestly lose the password, because i was trying to stop my brother booting up knoppix while i wasn't there and getting into my windows files because linux doesn't understant windows permissions. sorry if i sounded a bit dodgy or whatever

UnderScore
06-23-2005, 10:29 PM
The bootloader is SYSLINUX & its sub-piece ISOLINUX. See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19455 for more info & the link to the syslinux site.

I get the idea of what you want to do, I just don't see how you are going to accomplish it.

Harry Kuhman
06-23-2005, 10:44 PM
it is my dads computer, which is why i dont want to do anything physical to it, but i did honestly lose the password, because i was trying to stop my brother booting up knoppix while i wasn't there and getting into my windows files because linux doesn't understant windows permissions. sorry if i sounded a bit dodgy or whatever
Still sounds too shaky for me to get involved in helping. You want to be able to boot Knoppix and search the Windows disk, but you mucked up the BIOS and forgot the password because you didn't want your brother to be able to boot Knoppix, only you are allowed to do this on a computer that is owned by the father of both of you?

Personally I hope that whoever locked up the BIOS was smart enough (or lucky enough) to have set the boot order so that the hard drive boots first. It doesn't make any sense to password protect a BIOS if you don't do this.

|enouf|
06-27-2005, 04:22 AM
Personally I hope that whoever locked up the BIOS was smart enough (or lucky enough) to have set the boot order so that the hard drive boots first. It doesn't make any sense to password protect a BIOS if you don't do this.

hi;
I'm pretty new here and new to linux in general (specifically only used/trying knoppix so far) - but in thinking about your comment - I think I beg to differ. Allow me - yes, the method of bypassing a BIOS passwd has been mentioned already, but for most in an office env., it suffices - since short of breaking open the case, no matter what the Boot order is set to - most BIOS psswd systems I've seen won't allow anything to occur POST wise (not even a memory check, let alone device detection) unless the correct passwd is entered.

*edit
just recalled, that there are diff ways to allot protection - like one way is USER (so BIOS setting can't be altered ONLY) - and then there's SUPERVISOR (in which nothing can happen Boot-wise, short of the workarounds described above)...so there you have it - I cleared up my confusion :)
/*edit

But - perhaps I'm thinking of the certain BIOSes that also contain a Keyboard lock/Boot up passwd

just wanted to express what my experience has been

BTW - I've got many n00b questions and I'm lurking/reading/searching the boards and will likley be posting a ? or 2 very soon :) -- so far I posted over in the Tips aand Tricks forum, Screen Resolution thread. I was definitely a bit long-winded and maybe some unnecessary complications I promoted, but I hope it'll help someone, as it's just my very n00b exp, since Booting into the Knoppix 3.6 (from 8/2004) LiveCD, using Kernel 2.6 approx 10-15 times and exploring. I'm a very accomplished 98 user (and a bit more) and will NOT ever give MS another dime ;) -- besides I like the idea of controlling MY OSes and MY Computers.