PDA

View Full Version : Porblems logging out of dual-boot system.

chad
04-18-2003, 01:45 AM
Hello,

I have an IBM Thinkpad T30 laptop that I use at work. Unfortunately, one of the operating systems that we support is Windows XP. We have extra hard drives on order for our laptops so we can run Linux. In the meantime, while we're waiting for the backordered hard drives, I decided to dual-boot so I can use Linux. I installed Knoppix 3.2 and the dual-booting is working great except for one small problem. When I logout of Linux, it goes directly to a blank screen. The only way I can get back into Linux is to shutdown and restart. If I choose to shutdown or reboot, everything works fine. I've searched the web for a resolution to this issue but didn't have any luck. Could it have something to do with the video card? The video card is a Radeon Mobility 7500.

Thanks for any help you can give.

MattT
04-18-2003, 03:09 AM
Never heard of that. What does Ctrl+Alt+Backspace do? This should stop X.

RockMumbles
04-18-2003, 06:24 AM
After the initial boot screen do you see the "tux" console screen and the kernel's hardware detection?

If not boot up with:

knoppix vga=normal

and see what happens.

rock

chad
04-18-2003, 10:45 AM
Control-Alt-Backspace does nothing. That's what really confused me.

After the initial boot screen, I do see the "tux" console and the kernel's hardware detection.

Here's some more inforation I should have included in the initial post. My co-worker has the same laptop and also set it up to dual-boot. He installed Mandrake instead of Knoppix and is having the same logout issues that I'm having.

Thanks for all the help!

rickenbacherus
04-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Have a look at /etc/lilo.conf. What does your append=" " line include? I cannot install to my wifes IBM laptop or she would kill me so I can't do any experimenting. If you don't have noapic included, add it and see what happens.