PDA

View Full Version : knoppix-installer

jjbergdolt
06-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Knoppix 3.9 from CD works well (including my scanner that did not run with 3.8.1).
But after installation (Debian like option) on the HD with knoppix-installer my connection to the local area does no longer work.

When I try to set up my printer I get a message "unable to run cups".
I checked cups with KSysV; it seems working.

What can I do to correct it?

Markus
06-16-2005, 05:43 PM
See if cups is working with: ps fax|grep cups
Then browse with konqueror to http://localhost:631/
Is the network working at all? Do you have internet?

jjbergdolt
06-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Thans Markus for your fast answer.
No I had no network at all.
Finally I decided to re-install Knoppix with the Knoppix option instead of Debian like.
Everythink works fine now.

tdjokic
06-16-2005, 07:00 PM
I decided to re-install Knoppix with the Knoppix option instead of Debian likeWhy? The best option is beginer with hdw detection. Knoppix option is like CD - maybe I am wrong, but programms are compressed and every boot you will wait for uncompressinf and so on...

UnderScore
06-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Why? The best option is beginer with hdw detection.This is just my opinion.
Based on the multitude of problems, I would say the best option is to not install Knoppix unless you know what you are doing. Unless you truly, must have, gotta install Knoppix, don't do it.

A car is not designed for a good night of sleep. You can sleep in a car but unless you are dead tired, it is something that probably should not be done. Knoppix is not designed to be installed to the hard drive. It is designed to be a bootable CD. Sure it CAN be installed to the HD but it unless you are very experienced, it is something that should not be done. Or in other words, a hammer is a good hammer but make a poor knife.

There are email messages, howto guides, & forums where people are telling others that a Knoppix HD install is OK for newbies. I feel that they are not fully informed and are causing more problems that they are fixing. A Knoppix install on a HD is very difficult to administrate, add/remove software & get new drivers. Some may feel that they can deal with the oddities & the quirks, but if it were all easy, then why are there so many people with problems after a HD install. A Knoppix HD install will most likely break something, usually networking. A perfect real example of such is this topic within the past week: "Help please - how do I install a ethernet card driver??? (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19522). Read that quickly & you will realize that we had to support this user with more technical geeky commands than you would normally find in a HD install of a normal distro.

So I say that knoppix should not be installed to the HD. What about Debian people in regards to the HD install of Knoppix?
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/02/msg01452.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/02/msg01494.html

http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2005/02/msg00203.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2005/02/msg00208.html

There are plenty of desktop oriented distros to choose. Here are some I've installed in the last 6 months.
Debian 3.0/3.1, Fedora Core 3/4, Suse Prof 9.1/2/3, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Linspire 4.5/5.0 on i386

If you want a boot from CD drive then use a Debian based live CD like Knoppix. If you want to install Knoppix to the HD (which is really Debian) then skip Knoppix & install Debian 3.1 released Mon June 6. If you want a pre-configured user-oriented desktop PC (not server) distro based on Debian then use Ubuntu (GNOME desktop) or Kubuntu (KDE desktop) or see Fedora Core 4 (released June 13). If you want a real noob friendly desktop Debian based distro & are willing to pay a small yearly price for support & software updates use Linspire.

I hope this helps.
James

Markus
06-16-2005, 08:03 PM
I've never installed in anything but debian style, but AFAIK knoppix style isn't compressed, just acts like the livecd. IOW autologin and no multiuser (Can be tweaked for multiuser).
Beginner style has multiuser and autodetection.
Debian style is closest to debian as the name suggests. You could probably have got the network working with just running kdesu netcardconfig and perhaps edited /etc/resolv.conf. Or even by running the autoconfig once.

EDIT: Seems like UnderScore beat me to the answer. He's probably right also. Don't install knoppix if you don't want to keep fixing it. Although if you want to learn linux, what better way than to install something like knoppix you know will break on an upgrade ;)
The easy way out by installing a livecd is kanotix which has fewer bugs than knoppix, but it's not pure debian either.

tdjokic
06-16-2005, 08:20 PM
The best option is... Kanotix! Better than Mepis, Vector, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Linspire, Xandros, SUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva.

Harry Kuhman
06-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Kanotix! Better than Mepis, Vector, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Linspire, Xandros, SUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva.
Yes, by all means lets just turn this into a "what I like is best, what you like is crap" religious type flame fest with no attempt to make accurate point-by-point comparrisons that might help others in determining what features each distro has.

UnderScore
06-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Although if you want to learn linux, what better way than to install something like knoppix you know will break on an upgrade ;)Very good point. If someone can fix their broken system by reading forums & man pages, then more power to them as they are on a path of learning.

Kanotix! Better than Mepis, Vector, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Linspire, Xandros, SUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva.:)

I like knoppix as it is the most well known & popular livecd and also other livecds (like kanotix) are based off of it. As for the best distro ... there is no best distro! :shock: They all have their good & bad, but in the end what matters most is the question: What do you need or want to to do with linux? And the answer determines the distro.

logone
06-21-2005, 02:38 PM
in all post there are more opinions (an this is good) but not solutions. and no point (exuse me i m not english) the problem.

i have doing the installation of knoppix 3.9 , the problem is:
where is loopback?
for same reason (i m curiosly) loopback dont initialise ad all the services brigdet on it dont work (like smb cupsd or webmin) when i send to command line "ifconfig lo 120.0.0.1" all working.

were is the fail in booting stertup?
init.rd?

also i have solved by a script like the command at boot but is not more elegant :çP

regards to all
:ç)

logone
06-21-2005, 02:39 PM
"when i send to command line "ifconfig lo 120.0.0.1" all working"

exuse

logone
06-21-2005, 04:47 PM
in the posts there are this ........ i think is the solution , i tried tonight
bye

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19518

maxIT
06-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Knoppix option is like CD - maybe I am wrong, but programms are compressed and every boot you will wait for uncompressinf and so on...

This is not strictly a tohd way of copying files but a full install, but this work just in livelcd:
-knoppix user by default
-knoppix user in sudores file
-ability to change WM by Kmenu
and so on...