PDA

View Full Version : loud noise that doesnt quit

electronico
06-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi, I'm sort of a newbie at this and all. When I'm running Knoppix, there's this loud noise that i think is coming from the fan. Usually, this noise lasts about 10 seconds while im booting XP, but it doesn't quit with Knoppix. If anybody knows whats wrong, could you please help me? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

UnderScore
06-16-2005, 08:33 PM
We need more info. Look at your request for help from my point of view: I have no idea what your system is like. Is it s laptop? A server? A desktop? I assume that you are booting off the CD of Knoppix. What version of knoppix? On what hardware? Pentium4-3.0GHz? Pentium3 700Mhz?

Without more info there is no possible way any of us can help you.

electronico
06-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Im using a P4 1.7ghz, Its a Desktop, Sony Vaio model PCV-RX560 (if that helps any). Im using the latest version of Knoppix booted from the CD.

Harry Kuhman
06-17-2005, 08:02 PM
... there's this loud noise that i think is coming from the fan.....
Which fan?

It's not unlikely that Knoppix is leaving a fan run that Windows turns off (different temperture thresholds perhaps, or just that Knoppix isn't trying to control the fan or it's speed). Seems like the most reasonable approach is to determine the bad fan and replace it.

Or maybe remove the scrap of paper or other foregin object that the fan is scraping against.

UnderScore
06-17-2005, 08:25 PM
It may be the ACPI powermanagement software & drivers in windows that tells the fan to spin down. Apple Power Mac G4 & G5s had an issue with this. If the Power Mac ran Mac OSX then it the system fans were quiet. If it ran PPC Linux, the system fan would not spin down & would stay at a high RPM. If this is the case with your sony machine, you will need to google search & see if other people had issues with linux & the model of your machine. Next you could try to boot with a variety of cheat codes:
knoppix acpi=off
knoppix acpi=on
knoppix acpi=force

I hope this helps.
James