PDA

View Full Version : Complete Newbie - Is there a command to launch Linux?

yummy_penguin
06-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi there,

so far i've created a bootable cd in nero with Knoppix 3.9. Bios in my laptop is set to boot from CD. I get as far as Caldera DOS loading up, and waiting for a command. Am i on the right track here?

Sorry for being a nonce :oops:

The Yummy Penguin

kirol
06-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Sigh. This has got to be the #1 mistake with impatient downloaders eager to try Knoppix!

The ISO is bootable. No need to start a new (bootable) project in Nero, simply "burn as image".
When you look at your cd contents from windows, you should not just see one big ISO file, but a Knoppix directory with a big KNOPPIX file (compressed filesystem) along with smaller auxiliary files underneath.
It's also advisable to check the md5 sum before burning in order to guarantee the integrity of the dowloaded image.

yummy_penguin
06-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Sigh. This has got to be the #1 mistake with impatient downloaders eager to try Knoppix!

The ISO is bootable. No need to start a new (bootable) project in Nero, simply "burn as image".
When you look at your cd contents from windows, you should not just see one big ISO file, but a Knoppix directory with a big KNOPPIX file (compressed filesystem) along with smaller auxiliary files underneath.
It's also advisable to check the md5 sum before burning in order to guarantee the integrity of the dowloaded image.

Yes, i'd guessed it may have been asked before :wink:

I tried at first just burning the image, but ended up with apparently nothing on the cd. Thats why i tried making the cd bootable from Nero. So, it looks like i need to check my knoppix iso with the md5 checksum?

Thanks!

The Yummy Penguin

UnderScore
06-17-2005, 01:33 PM
So, it looks like i need to check my knoppix iso with the md5 checksum?No. You burned it wrong.