PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Connected to Internet Wirelessly via USB Device?

tstrickland
06-17-2005, 07:52 PM
I wonder if anyone has been able to connect to the Internet with KNOPPIX v. 3.7 using a USB wireless connection. If you have, could you give us a brief rundown on what you had to do? I can't get it to detect my wireless connection although it works fine in Windows (or I wouldn't be able to send this message). I just wonder if this is an essentially impossible task for newbies. :?

Thank you for your comments :!: :!:

Harry Kuhman
06-17-2005, 08:15 PM
I never got any of my wireless cards to be detected by any Knoppix up to 3.7. Knoppix 3.8 did detect my Belkin 802.11b card and I could use it just fine, although it would still not detect my Dlink 802.11b cards.

This is not a Knoppix or Linux problem, as such. It's an issue of the card and chip makers not releasing specs for the hardware so that Linux programmers can write drivers for them, There are some cards out there that have good Linux support (although they never seem to be sold at my local store and they never seem to be inexpensive when I find them mail order). And their is another approach that some people have gotten to work - a hack that runs the card with the Windows drivers for it under Linux with software called NdisWrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/).

Also, expect better results if you are trying to get a simple 802.11b PCI or PCMCIA card working than if you are trying to get an 802.11g or one of the newer faster cards that are targeted at standards that don't even exist yet, or if you are using a USB wireless device. Sorry, but adding the USB interface just adds an extra level of complexity to the problem.

You might want to post exactly what hardware you are using so that if anyone else has it working they can tell you.

tstrickland
06-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Harry,

Good idea. I have a NETGEAR WG121 USB connection. It's an 802.11g connection. Maybe someone has had some experience with this device.

mjolnir
07-02-2005, 04:08 AM
I am posting this using 3.7 installed to h/d, connecting with a dwl-122 usb adapter. I used wlanctl-ng to set up the card. Three commands from a root console: wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable, wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid='' authtype=opensystem, pump -i wlan0.

sumithar
07-13-2005, 04:04 AM
I typed in the string
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
I get the message "command not found"...Any clues?

scoldingice
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
I am posting this using 3.7 installed to h/d, connecting with a dwl-122 usb adapter. I used wlanctl-ng to set up the card. Three commands from a root console: wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable, wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid='' authtype=opensystem, pump -i wlan0.

i did what u said to and it worked when i unlocked my network. where would i put my 128bit encryption code in this line of code u posted?

mjolnir
07-29-2005, 04:16 AM
Sumithar, what kernel are you using? I had to use the 2.4 kernel to get this to work . Never had any luck with 2.6. I am sorry scoldingice I don't know anything about encryption. I live in the country and don't feel a need for it YET.