PDA

View Full Version : Input/output error

enlightened_j
06-19-2005, 04:52 PM
hi,

I have been using knoppix since 3.6, but I just starting to see this problem on 3.9 release. After I let the Knoppix mahince run for about 3-4 hours, any command would result "Input/output error". Even something simple as "cat /etc/cpuinfo".

The error really got me confused. Could the error be attributed to error in hardware?
Thanks.

Jason :?

UnderScore
06-19-2005, 06:03 PM
I/O errors usually happen when the knoppix CD image that was downloaded is corrupt. Check the md5sum of the ISO image. Or perhaps it was burned at too fast a burning speed, 4x & 8x recommended. Or perhaps your CDR media is not good. See the http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

enlightened_j
06-19-2005, 10:10 PM
But the weird thing is that initially the system will be ok. ssh, samba all runs fine. The error only occurs after few hours of using it.

If the CD was corrupted, wouldn't the error show up right away?

Thanks.

tdjokic
06-19-2005, 11:14 PM
I must be sure: are you talking about running Live CD? I have a problem with one CD - I put it in cdrom, reboot PC, nothing, only one line of text, again and again, than everything is OK, I installed this distro on hdd (Kanotix), no problems at all. It seems that something is wrong in a fisical way, maybe CD need a bit of warming, who knows. Your case is oposite, maybe you have too much "warming"...

enlightened_j
06-20-2005, 04:57 AM
to much "warming" :D
This actually came across my mind, but I doubt that was the reason either.
I tried "toram" switch just to make sure it wasn't the problme with CD-rom.

I guess I will try burnning a different CD and see what happens. Thanks though.

Jason

Dave_Bechtel
06-20-2005, 06:29 AM
What cheat codes are you using? This is just a wild guess, but if ACPI isn't working correctly your machine might be overheating.

BTW, it's ' cat /proc/cpuinfo ', not etc. ;-)

What kind of specs does your system have, CPU, cdrom, video card, is it a laptop, etc.

hi,

I have been using knoppix since 3.6, but I just starting to see this problem on 3.9 release. After I let the Knoppix mahince run for about 3-4 hours, any command would result "Input/output error". Even something simple as "cat /etc/cpuinfo".

The error really got me confused. Could the error be attributed to error in hardware?
Thanks.

Jason :?

enlightened_j
06-21-2005, 06:39 PM
I was using a Athlon MP 1800+ (1.6 ghz or so) under-clocked to 600 mhz.
NVidia Gefore 2 MX graphic card.
640 MB of ram (256 + 256 + 128)
The only cheat code I tried is "toram"

Even if ACPI wasn't working correctly, it should still work ok considering that the CPU is running at 600 mhz :?: