PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 3.7 Freeze during boot (Probing SCSI...aic7xxx.o )

gildedlink
06-21-2005, 12:32 AM
When I attempt to boot Knoppix v3.7 on one of my computers (and I don't recall this happening before), during boot it freezes after the first line of bootup info. The line reads as follows:

Probing SCSI...aic7xxx.o

I'm not all that great with figuring this out, apparently some SCSI device must have had some compatibility issue. If someone can help me resolve this as quickly as possible I'd be very happy. I need to use it so I can network my laptop to it and migrate some files (the laptop is broken, and before replacing the problem causing Hard Drive I want to migrate it to this computer and burn some backups to DVD. It is most urgent that this gets done soon.)

Thank you ahead of time for a hopeful response.

~gildedlink

UnderScore
06-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Do you need to have SCSI device support? If not then boot with the cheat code: knoppix noscsi

gildedlink
06-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Unfortunetly I do need scsi. I've found that my ethernet port isn't detected when I disable scsi, and in order to transfer these files I need use of the port to transfer from my laptop (after I get everything to work, I'll still have the challenge of somehow setting up a network between a v3.4 laptop and a 3.7 desktop via the ethernet cable)

UnderScore
06-21-2005, 02:01 AM
If I recall correctly, Knoppix 3.7 uses the 2.4 kernel by default. You could try the 2.6 kernel by booting Knoppix with: knoppix26
I apologize in advance if I am wrong.

Harry Kuhman
06-21-2005, 02:16 AM
I apologize in advance if I am wrong.
No, you're correct.

gildedlink
06-21-2005, 02:26 AM
Well, this changed things around a bit.

When I tried booting with both settings (kernal 2.6 AND noscsi) the ADSL/PPPOE config client did pick up eth0, but kept timing out, and the browser was unable to find any hosts (I did check the cables to make sure they were secured when this happened).

When I tried booting with just the 2.6 kernal and scsi support it froze on the same line, but different text came up before it froze:

Probing SCSI...avansys.o

I wasn't sure if this was really significant, but I suppose any info I can give stands a chance of helping.

gildedlink
06-23-2005, 10:11 PM
I apologize for the double post, but I just wanted to say that knoppix 4.0 has automatically worked without problems in detection, etc. I'd like to thank you both for helping me with this as much as possible.