PDA

View Full Version : can't locate module char - major - 188

bluejay
04-18-2003, 02:09 PM
After creating a configuration file, upon reboot I received the following message during setup:

cupsysdmodeprobe
can't locate module char - major - 188

The config file did not load at all.

Anyone know what went wrong and how to fix it? Before doing the configuration, I could not access my printer and to get the CUPS running, I did a command to start it in root shell. It worked, but somehow it seems that the configuration is not complete.

goba
04-18-2003, 02:34 PM
I have exactly the same problem. :\

Supaplex
04-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Without knowing what module is needed, you may find more help in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-xfs/Documentation/devices.txt - all devices for linux are described here.

bluejay
04-21-2003, 10:03 PM
I found that "188" referred to USB,so I tried booting with nousb but that didn't work. So I solved the boot problem and configuration problem by installing Debian on my 2nd hard disk :) . I installed LILO and a boot loader (GAG) but the loader can't find the Linux setup unless I boot from the Linux rescue disk created during the Knoppix setup process. Now when I boot to windows, the disk on which I have Linux installed is completely ignored. Is this normal?

Dave_Bechtel
04-21-2003, 11:02 PM
--Post results of ' fdisk -l '; if you have no fat/ntfs partitions on hdb, yes it will be ignored unless you run something like partition magic.

I found that "188" referred to USB,so I tried booting with nousb but that didn't work. So I solved the boot problem and configuration problem by installing Debian on my 2nd hard disk :) . I installed LILO and a boot loader (GAG) but the loader can't find the Linux setup unless I boot from the Linux rescue disk created during the Knoppix setup process. Now when I boot to windows, the disk on which I have Linux installed is completely ignored. Is this normal?