PDA

View Full Version : Boot from iso - "wrong fs type" Error

punkbg
06-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi, a little help for the newbie...
Finaly I started Knoppix 3.8 on my ThinkPad laptop using the pnpbios=off parameter, and now I want to boot it from the iso image on my harddrive, because from the cd it works terribly slow. :( But when I try the command line :
knoppix pnpbios=off lang=us bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knx.iso
it returns "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1 or too many monted file systems" and continues loading knoppix from the disk ( succesfully ).
I have only one fat32 partition, and lack of free space so I can't afford to make another partition for hdd install...
Thanks in advance for your support

rwcitek
06-22-2005, 01:02 AM
... when I try the command line :
knoppix pnpbios=off lang=us bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knx.iso
it returns "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1 or too many monted file systems" and continues loading knoppix from the disk ( succesfully ).
That should have worked. When your are in Windows, be sure the ISO image is indeed called "knx.iso" and that the file is in C:\ and not in some subdirectory. Also, you may want to boot Knoppix from the CD and then issue a 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' to be sure your C: drive is indeed /dev/hda1 and not /dev/hda2 or /dev/hdb1.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/

punkbg
06-22-2005, 07:10 AM
That should have worked. When your are in Windows, be sure the ISO image is indeed called "knx.iso" and that the file is in C:\ and not in some subdirectory. Also, you may want to boot Knoppix from the CD and then issue a 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' to be sure your C: drive is indeed /dev/hda1 and not /dev/hda2 or /dev/hdb1.

Regards,
- Robert

the name of the image file is exacty knx.iso, the path is C:\, and fdisk returns that my win95/fat32 drive C:\ is /dev/hda1
I'm wondering if it will work if I uncompress the iso and use the fromhdd command, but as I said I have a lack of free space so cannot try it at this moment... I'm open for any other suggestions. Thanks for your time!

rwcitek
06-22-2005, 08:19 AM
the name of the image file is exacty knx.iso, the path is C:\, and fdisk returns that my win95/fat32 drive C:\ is /dev/hda1
Can you mount the image manually? To do that, boot with boot: knoppix 3. Once you have a shell, type the following commands (everything to the right of the #'s are comments and do not have to be typed in):

mount /mnt/hda1 # mounts the C:\ drive (/dev/hda1) to /mnt/hda1
mkdir /mnt/knx # makes a mountpoint for the image
mount -o loop /mnt/hda1/knx.iso /mnt/knx # mounts the image via the loopback device
ls -la /mnt/knx # list the contents of the image
df -HTl /mnt/hda1 /mnt/knx # display the filesystem, filesystem type, and mountpoint

Do all of the above commands work? If not, which ones do not? What filesystem is listed for /mnt/hda1, for /mnt/knx?

Regards,
- Robert

punkbg
06-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Mounting is ok, this is what I get with those commands :

knoppix@1[knoppix]$ ls -la /mnt/knx
total 21
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 2048 Feb 28 11:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 1024 Jun 25 12:59 ..
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Feb 28 17:15 KNOPPIX
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 54 Jun 17 2001 autorun.bat
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 45 Feb 22 2003 autorun.inf
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 967 May 1 2004 autorun.pif
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 2048 Jan 10 2004 boot
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 7158 Feb 27 19:41 cdrom.ico
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 2421 Feb 28 11:00 index.html
knoppix@1[knoppix]$ df -HTl /mnt/hda1 /mnt/knx
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 vfat 6.5G 5.8G 683M 90% /mnt/hda1
/mnt/hda1/knx.iso
iso9660 729M 729M 0 100% /mnt/knx