PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix desk top not comming up on boot

ljrjlr
06-23-2005, 01:45 AM
I have installed Knoppix on my hard drive it was running great but then it came up at the command prompt and asked to login in I put in my user name and then it asks for the password. Then the command prompt comes up with the log in name an @ sign and then the user name. jrichards@jim. How do I get to the desk top. I am new to linux and have searched the forums, looked at FAQs, hack codes and asked for help at the prompt that brings up several items but none seem to fit what I need. I can list the directory and change to my home directory but can't seem to figure out how to get to the desk top.

ljrjlr
06-23-2005, 02:30 AM
Update

I tried STARTX and got the "Error Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again"

"giving up"
"xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
"xinit: No such process (errno 3): sever error

gnukish
06-23-2005, 06:00 PM
You were half way though.... when u typed startx.
You must delete the file "/tmp/.X0-lock".

[root@localhost root]#rm /tmp/.X0-lock
[root@localhost root]#reboot

OR YOU CAN TRY THIS

[root@localhost root]#rm /tmp/.X0-lock
[root@localhost root]#startx

Regards

ljrjlr
06-27-2005, 12:08 AM
I tried to remove the file tried seveal versons of what you have given me but at best I get no response at worst I get an reply of no file found. I am sure you are right about the commands I need. (I am new to linux) but am not sure I am inputting it right. I like knoppic but the learning curve is tuff for me. Please if help if you have any other ideas. If you don't I may have to reload and lose what I have loaded on to it already.

gnukish
07-03-2005, 12:34 PM
If the file not found error appears , it means that u have already deleted .X0-lock file.
Now try startx.

Sorry for the late reply :oops: