PDA

View Full Version : access to event logs?

wokka
06-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Can I utilise my Knoppix 3.7 disk to fix a damaged config/system file in win xp? Has anyone used Knoppix for these reasons? Can I affect a repair in some way to this file damage? Maybe delete it or replace a copy from another system using a usb drive? Or am I dreaming of a perfect world.

Another question. Can I view system error logs or use eventvwr to view these logs from the Knoppix interface?

Harry Kuhman
06-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Can I utilise my Knoppix 3.7 disk to fix a damaged config/system file in win xp?
Knoppix can not wite to a NTFS partition or delete files on same. Doing so will corrupt the NTFS partition. NTFS is the default partition for XP and unless you know otherwise that you deliberately created FAT partitions, you very likely have one or more NTFS partitions. Knoppix can read from NTFS partitions safely, and can be used to recover any files that still remain on your NTFS partition. It can not fix the NTFS partition. Knoppix's use in dealing with the common XP "I can't even boot it any more" problem is limited to giving you a way to get the important data that survived off the system (usually by transfering it to a flash drive or across the network to another computer). You'll likely need to rebuild and reinstall Windows with the XP disks to get the system working again.