PDA

View Full Version : no connection to internet with a T-Ethernet Modem

Lachinger
06-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi
I try to get an internet connection with my Live CD Knoppix 3.3, it finds the ethernet card but cannot find the PPPoE Accsess Contractor (which I guess is the modem Speedtouch 500), so have anyone an idea what I can do?
I am a newby with this live-cd, but I like the idea, especially to get away from windows sooner or later.

Thanks for any idea Ferdinand

tdjokic
06-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Try ifconfig in terminal and you must see 3 items there: eth0, lo and ppp0. Click on terminal icon in Pannel, than type su, Enter and than type ifconfig. Sometimes cheatcode at boot "acpi=off" helps to find concentrator, which is something at your provider.

Lachinger
06-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Huu I do not know where to find ifconfig in terminal, how can I get to this...?
Sorry I am realy starting from 0.......

Harry Kuhman
06-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi
I try to get an internet connection with my Live CD Knoppix 3.3, it finds the ethernet card but cannot find the PPPoE Accsess Contractor (which I guess is the modem Speedtouch 500), so have anyone an idea what I can do?
I am a newby with this live-cd, but I like the idea, especially to get away from windows sooner or later.

Thanks for any idea Ferdinand
I'm not going to wast time looking up your modem and trying to guess which options you have.

If it's USB then skip to another response. Or get a modem with an ethernet connection.

If it does not have a built-in router (I don't think that model does), then get yourself an inexpensive DSL/Cable router.
See here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87049#87049) for info I've written on this already today.

Lachinger
06-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Hm the point is this modem is ethernet connected not USB, forgot to write this in...

tdjokic
06-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Huu I do not know where to find ifconfig in terminal, how can I get to this...?
Click on terminal icon in Pannel, than type su, Enter and than type ifconfig.Which modem is yours:

SpeedTouch 510E Single port ADSL Ethernet router
SpeedTouch 530 USB / Ethernet ADSL router
SpeedTouch 510switch Four port ADSL Ethernet router
SpeedTouch 545 Wireless ready ADSL Ethernet router
SpeedTouch 570 Wireless ADSL router

It seems that every of them is router. As Harry said, this is very good.

Harry Kuhman
06-23-2005, 09:29 PM
See here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87049#87049) for info I've written on this already today.

Lachinger
06-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the help, now I have possibilitys to try, my modem has no router, but I try to get one and see.
I am not here for the next days....
And I realise that working with Knoppix need some time and some knowledge.
So I will read me in as well.
By the way knows somebody, what would be a good way to start with?

Have fun with all what live brings Ferdinand