PDA

View Full Version : Sound problem

daandaan
06-23-2005, 08:26 PM
I am totally new to linux and recently came knoppix 3.9 out - so I thought - why not? I tried it a few days and later on and I found it such a good os that I intalled it to my hd. The installation went perfect and everything was recognized by linux. I started xmms and I could hear the music play but when I dragged the volume button, it didn't do a thing it just kept playing on the same volume, so from 1% to 100% the volume kept the same, ONLY when I dragged it to 0%, there was no sound anymore >The only thing that I can do is turn the volume on or off. Same with the balance that doesn't work totally either. I can't also see the volume icon under left where I could control the volume. Can someone show me the solution for this problem and also how I can put this volume icon under left?
Greetz Daan

Harry Kuhman
06-23-2005, 09:24 PM
I am totally new to linux and recently came knoppix 3.9 out - so I thought - why not? I tried it a few days and later on and I found it such a good os that I intalled it to my hd.

1. I can't solve your problem for you.

2. Does this problem exist when running from the CD also, or only after you installed it to the hard disk? If it exists when running from the CD than I would suggest that you shouldn't not have clouded the issue by talking about the hard disk install, or at least made clear that it's also a problem when you run from the CD. If it is only a problem with the hard disk "install" (like lots of things when you try to "install" Knoppix to hard disk rather than Debian), then you would be better off asking in the hard disk install forum than here.

daandaan
06-24-2005, 07:35 AM
The problem also exists when running from cd.

fingers99
06-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Could it be that the volumes in Kmix and/or Alsamixer are very low?

To get Kmix, go to the Kmenu>Multimedia>Kmixer --- click on it and the loadspeaker icon appears bottom right.

daandaan
06-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Well I checked it all and all the volumes were normal. I tested to put volume higer and lower but the only thing that I could do was to put it on or off using the green button. Another thing: in xmms, the equalizer doesn't work totally, so in fact I can only make music play and stop it without changing the volume or equalizing. :?

daandaan
06-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Btw, I'm using a c-media device 5.10 audio card.