PDA

View Full Version : Questions on glibc, Knoppix, and the Intel Fortran Compiler

XPuser1
06-24-2005, 02:38 AM
Hi. Basic question: I would like to use the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux in Knoppix 3.8.2. Has anyone done this or know that it will work?

(Although from my user name being XPUser1 you could rightfully guess that I am a Windows-XP user, someone recently installed Linux from a Knoppix compact disc for me in a dual-boot arrangement on the Windows-XP-loaded computer.)

Of course I could just try it to find out the answer. In fact I am downloading the 86-megabyte Compiler installation file right now. But with good answers to some preliminary questions I hope one could see if some basic things look good. And it would be helpful to know if it is supposed to work or not. The software requirements for the Compiler used to be found at http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/flin/sysreq.htm; however, since then I think they have been replaced by the software requirements for version 9.0 of the Compiler, a version I guess to be similar to version 8.1. For version 9.0 of the Compiler glibc is a requirement. I saw that "Knoppix 3.4 comes with glibc" from http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/33/2005/05/2/255494. But for my Knoppix 3.8.2 all I could see of glibc all by itself via Knoppix's "K, System, Kpackage" was the directory /doc/glibc... I didn't find a glibc directory of source code. But I did find directories like /libs/libglib2.0-0 which is called the "The Glib library of C routines," perhaps all capitalized, and /devel/libglib1.2-dev. Are these things that have taken over the function of glibc with glibc itself being absent in Knoppix 3.8.2? (Or have I missed a directory or subdirectory called glibc itself in Knoppix 3.8.2?) If these things have taken the place of glibc, will they work with the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 or 9.0 for Linux? Similar things apply to glib, which was listed as a requirement for version 8.1 of the Compiler; yet I don't find a glib directory in my Knoppix 3.8.2 either. That is is there something else which will provide the adequate function of glib for version 8.1 of the Compiler? If the answers to all of these questions are good concerning version 8.1 of the Compiler, then even though RedHat and SuSE versions of Linux were listed as working with version 8.1 of the Compiler, while Knoppix was not, there would appear to me to be a fair chance that version 8.1 of the Compiler would work with Knoppix 3.8.2, which I have. If someone wants to tell me otherwise with supporting evidence, I welcome that.

fingers99
06-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Connect to the Internet:
Open a terminal TV like icon, bottom left.

Type in it

su <return>
(prompt for root password -- type it in) <return>
apt-get update && apt-get install libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 libg++2.8.1.3-glibc2.2 <return>

and that should take care of your glibc at least.

XPuser1
06-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me! Sorry, I had some mistakes on one of the directories I reported in my posting: It should have read /devel/libglib1.2-dev instead of something else/libglib1.2-dev; and secondly I am not sure whether it is associated with glib or glibc.

I don't have the capability to connect to the Internet from my Knoppix-3.8.2 installation; I am now on the Internet via Windows XP Home Edition. But at least one of the packages about which you wrote, namely libstdc++2.10-glib2.2 is already in the /base directory of my Knoppix-3.8.2 installation.

Fortunately my nephew-in-law Greg has had experience in Linux and is a kind, patient, and helpful fellow! He noted that the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux uses RPM in its installation, the "R" of which he knows stands for RedHat Linux. He knows that Knoppix 3.8.2 is associated with or based on Debian, not RedHat Linux. So he thinks it would be very difficult to get the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux to work in Knoppix 3.8.2, requiring 1) converting the installation from an RPM-based to a Debian one, which might 2) also require modifying the Compiler-installation script file which currently is likely to be set to use the RPM Intel file. As a result, we abandoned trying the Fortran Compiler in Knoppix 3.8.2. Instead he helped me in installing Fedora, Core-3 Linux in an unused partition on my computer's hard drive. From Greg I understood that Fedora, Core-3 Linux is a descendant of or successor to RedHat 9 Linux. Given that the Web site for the Compiler listed RedHat 9 Linux as one of the operating systems in which the Compiler could work, Greg thought it was quite likely that the Compiler would work in Fedora, Core-3 Linux. And thankfully and happily the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux did work in Fedora, Core-3 Linux, once Greg helped me in installing both of these pieces of software onto my computer's hard drive. The Fedora, Core-3 Linux has glibc 2.3.3-74 and kernel 2.6.9-1.667 incorporated in it.

Pat