PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix ALSA sound drivers

Keithj
06-24-2005, 02:48 AM
I have Knoppix 3.8.2 installed on my machine. I've got past the worst of the launch curve (mine and the computer's) but still the sound system boots to OSS which doesn't work fully - especially with MIDI.

I can run alsaconf, and that fixes it that time, but at next bootup it's back to OSS and I have to run alsaconf all over again.

I've googled for ways to set it to start in alsa mode, but not found any that I can understand, or that work. Is there an easy way? At the moment, I've put "alsaconf" in bootmisc.sh - that runs it OK but I still have to go through the full Q&A each time. There must be a better way.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Keithj
06-26-2005, 02:13 AM
After much poking around the machine, I've found that running alsaconf, which makes the sound system work correctly, changes only one item in a /sbin/lsmod
-before:
soundcore 11104 4 snd, emu10k1,sound
- after
soundcore 11104 1 snd

but googling and reading forums hasn't revealed what I change so that the machine boots up with soundcore 1 11104 1 snd, or where I can poke that into a batch file.

Can anyone tell me where to put the command to change that value, and the syntax?

UnderScore
06-26-2005, 03:14 AM
Just an idea, take a look at files named /etc/modules* specifically /etc/modules-2.6.##

Keithj
06-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks - but there was nothing there that looked odd.

Alsaconf will fix it every time, but has to be run at every bootup. Alsactl won't do it - that tells me there's no soundcard. Another of Linux's little mysteries!