PDA

View Full Version : How to install Real Player?

pnti
04-18-2003, 09:31 PM
Hello:

Is it possible or not to install Real Player on Knoppix?

How should I do it?

Thank you.

Wojtek.

rickenbacherus
04-18-2003, 10:15 PM
I don't know what sort of download you have. Is it a .deb? Is it a .tar? I saw a tar available on freshmeat so that's what I'll explain. Realize that I have no idea what the file is actually named so I'm going to guess that it's realplayer9.tar.gz

tar xvzf realplayer9.tar.gz
cd realplayer9
ls

Have a look at the files. There should be something called INSTALL and/or README. Open them with your favorite editor. Follow the instructions for installation. Often (but not always) you install a gzipped tarball like this:

./configure
make
su
<password>
make install
make clean

You are trying to install this to a hard drive installation right? You can't install it to the cd.

Stephen
04-18-2003, 11:38 PM
You can get the rpm and use alien to install. As root in a console alien -i /path_to/ realplayer_file_name.rpm. Then you can run realplayer from the run command or add it to the menu with the menu editor.

probono
04-19-2003, 03:03 AM
use Fabian's knoppix realplayer installer script, it's posted on this forum.

rickenbacherus
04-19-2003, 05:12 AM

Is realplayer hard to install on Knoppix for some reason? I've never used it. It gives me nightmares of windoworld. :wink:

probono
04-19-2003, 01:04 PM

Is realplayer hard to install on Knoppix for some reason? I've never used it. It gives me nightmares of windoworld. :wink:No, not hard at all.

pnti
04-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Hello !

Thank you for all the letters. I read them after I installed Rel Player.

It was not easy. First of all it was not easy to find installer on RNs' website.

Then it turned out that it was necessary to download correct file (linux 2 something).

Finally I run the installer.

And it works !

w.

VeeDubb
04-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Isn't there a realplayer plug-in allready installed in mozzilla? If so, you could open the file with mozilla and let it do it's thing.