PDA

View Full Version : path environment

roustabout
06-25-2005, 05:36 AM
:?:

Hi all,

Im installing NS2 on hd installed knoppix 3.9 (debian). After completing the install process, the install script gave this message:

(1)

Please put /home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/bin:/home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/tcl8.4
.5/unix:/home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/tk8.4.5/unix
into your PATH environment; so that you'll be able to run itm/tclsh/wish/xgraph.

(2)

You MUST put /home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/tcl8.4.5/library into your TCL_LIBRARY environmental
variable. Otherwise ns/nam will complain during startup.

(1) My question where do i put this path environment? Is it in the bashrc located in the /etc?

PATH="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/opt/kde2/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/bin:/home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/tcl8.4
.5/unix:/home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/tk8.4.5/unix:."
export PATH

am i correct?

(2) For the second part, where do i find this TCL_LIBRARY variable?

Thank you.

p/s: i'm a linux newbie
:D

Markus
06-25-2005, 12:54 PM
First check if you have set TCL_LIBRARY with: echo $TCL_LIBRARY
If you get no output do: echo "export TCL_LIBRARY=/home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/tcl8.4.5/library" >> ~/.bashrc
If you get output do: echo "export TCL_LIBRARY=$TCL_LIBRARY:/home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/tcl8.4.5/library" >> ~/.bashrc

Then do: echo "export PATH=$PATH:/home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/bin:/home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/tcl8.4.5/unix:/home/roustabout/ns-allinone-2.28/tk8.4.5/unix" >> ~/.bashrc

You can of course just add the lines to ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile instead of echoing them there.
If you want them systemwide for all users add them to /etc/profile