PDA

View Full Version : knoppix as a repair disk: cant find "scan disk"

briankinder
06-26-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm trying (and failing I might add) to use knoppix as a repair disk. Is there a program on knoppix thats does disk reparation? my problems a corruped hard drive.

Harry Kuhman
06-27-2005, 01:53 AM
I'm trying (and failing I might add) to use knoppix as a repair disk. Is there a program on knoppix thats does disk reparation? my problems a corruped hard drive.
No, I don't think you're going to find that Knoppix will do much to repair a corrupt disk. There are partitioning tools, and there is qpart (or gparted, I forget which) that tries to repair a partition table if that is what has been destroyed. But Knoppix is not primarilty a Windows support tool, It's a live Linux CD and an alternative to Windows.

Knoppix can be used to read Windows partitions, including NTFS partitions, and is used by many people to recover files from a Windows system when Windows does the all too frequent little joke that it does of refusing to boot any longer. But if something had corrupted the file system or if you have encrypted directories out on an NTFS partition, I don't think Knoppix/Linux is going to help recover them.