PDA

View Full Version : NOT BOOTING

Matabus
06-26-2005, 11:48 PM
When I fix the bios to boot on CD ROM, I have the Knoppix CD in. I see the lights on the CDROM that means its reading it, but then after a while it just goes back to my windows boot page.

My Goal:
To run linux with Windows Xp.

Currently all space is allocated to Windows. I have partition magic so I can install linux. I have not partition the drive yet, but wanted to make sure the boot cd worked before i did.

I have 80gig harddrive. I want to try out linux, but I will mostly use windows. My idea of partition will be:
Primary Windows 75gigs
Linux 4gigs
Swap 400mb.

I am a total Linux Newbie so be easy on me :lol:

Harry Kuhman
06-27-2005, 01:37 AM
When I fix the bios to boot on CD ROM, I have the Knoppix CD in. I see the lights on the CDROM that means its reading it, but then after a while it just goes back to my windows boot page.
You don't say anything about how you made the CD. Did you follow the instructtions in the downloading faq (reached by the documentation link at the top of this page) and burn it as an image, and at a slow speed like 4x? If you downloaded from a mirror did you check the md5 sum? (This is very important, don't skip over it just because you don't recognize what md5 means.) My bet is that you just have one big iso file sitting on that CD, but people have found any number of ways to burn the ISO file incorrectly.

Matabus
06-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Actually, I burned it as an image on Alchol 120%. And the Linux Boot did come up a few times. After positng here I attempted again and again. Finally the Linux In Use Splash came up.

the line that was stuck was accesing cd ....

then my CD ROM started making loud Reading Sound. I left it for a while since my cd rom is kinda old its a 16x read, i figure it would take some time. But it didnt, I restart my comp and attempted to boot again, but failed went straight to my Windows.

I got in one more time and accessed the F2 function, but didnt know what to do, so I restarted.

Is there a way once I get in the boot, to transfer the data somewhere so it reads it there instead of my slow cdrom?

OP4Latino
06-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Is there a way once I get in the boot, to transfer the data somewhere so it reads it there instead of my slow cdrom?

You can use toram cheat code if you have more than 1GB of RAM

or you can have the iso file in any partition in your computer and use bootfrom

toram
Copy CD to RAM and run from there. Version 2003-09-05 and later.

tohd
You can now do a "poor mans install" on vfat and ext2-Partitions with, knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 Version 2003-09-22 and later.

fromhd
With this cheatcode the CD-Roms are ignored, so you can finally boot your "poor mans install" with just the original cdrom. Version 2003-09-05 and later. note - Cheatcode "toram" and "fromhd" work now together. Usage fromhd=/dev/hda1.

bootfrom=/dev/hda1
Access Image then boot from previously copied CD-Image (enables booting from NTFS / ReiserFS) - Knoppix V3.4

bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNX.iso
Access image, boot from ISO-Image. - Knoppix V3.4

NOTE: bootfrom needs access to a running Knoppix-System with the same Kernel as the Bootkernel, before it is able to mount the partition / ISO-Image. This should allow a poor mans install from NTFS-Partitions and makes it also possible to boot an ISO-Image directly. You can also use wildcards in the ISO-Filename, but it must be unique. So: If you have just one KNOPPIX.iso on /dev/hda1 you can access it as: bootfrom=/dev/hda1/K*.iso, but if there are several, you need to make clear, which one you want. (Feature added by Fabian Franz.)

CAUTION: The 2.4 kernel that is in the KNOPPIX 3.4 CD does not support the ext3 filesystem so make sure that the ISO is stored in an ext2 filesystem.

You can read how to use cheats at: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes[b]

clarjon1
06-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I've had this problem before!
to fix, I just put knoppix nodma
good luck!

rwcitek
07-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Actually, I burned it as an image on Alchol 120%. And the Linux Boot did come up a few times. After positng here I attempted again and again. Finally the Linux In Use Splash came up.

the line that was stuck was accesing cd ....

then my CD ROM started making loud Reading Sound. I left it for a while since my cd rom is kinda old its a 16x read, i figure it would take some time. But it didnt, I restart my comp and attempted to boot again, but failed went straight to my Windows.

I got in one more time and accessed the F2 function, but didnt know what to do, so I restarted.

If you only intermittently get a boot screen, then chances are you have a bad burn. That is, either the ISO was bad, the CD was bad, or both. Try downloading a new ISO, verifying the md5sum, and burning a new CD at slow speed, <8x.

Yes, but that's not going to help if the ISO you downloaded and burned to CD is bad.

Let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/