PDA

View Full Version : Problems Booting the DVD

Chthonic Miasma
06-28-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm really stumped with this DVD guys. I took the time to download the iso, and used the latest version of Nero to burn the ISO to an average DVD-R. if i look at the dvd the files are there correctly, but when i attempt to boot it goes straight to windows, i've tried it in both of my drives, but to no avail. the only issue i could see is that in my BIOS it doesn't let me choose DVD-ROM as a boot device, only CD-ROM. I don't know if this is a problem, or if it is, how to add DVD-ROM to the boot list. any insight would be great guys.

justin_c
06-28-2005, 07:19 PM
one question first; does it work with cds? knoppix live cds? if it does work follow steps below

2961b0ae20be43b242702e4afa57347c *KNOPPIX_V4.0-2005-06-08-LINUXTAG2005-DVD-DE.ISO
check md5sum of original iso

i downloaded a copy of suse 9.2 eval LIVE DVD some time ago to test on my old machine

when i entered the bios, there were only a couple of options; cd rom, ide0 ide1 floppy network zip, etc BUT NO DVD-ROM

so i set it to CD-ROM as first boot order

1 CD ROM
2 FLOPPY
3 IDE-0 (windows hd)

this computer only had one drive the dvd rom drive

it may also be the multiple drives (if you do have multiple drives) this is waht i experienced

3 drives on a computer

cd reader and writer with no dvd rom support
dvd rom reader only
dvd writer with cd writer dvd rom everything

if you put it in the dvd rom, and its set on something like slave and you have multiple drives, it might be a problem (i experienced it) so you have to move it to the first as master in ide1 (maybe you can use ide-1 2 3 for config)

check md5sum of the original iso

it might be the cd rom go to windows and open with explorer (my computer)

if you cant read it it may be:

1. bad dvd burned bad (very likely) (for example, burning at high speed eg, 16x full speed burn with programs in the background and internet going causing data corruption)
2. bad dvd manufactured bad (very likely happens all the time)
3. bad dvd burned wrong (bad data mode 1 2 hfs didnt set it to finalize-bios may be picky about finalized media or u accidently clicked simulate)
4. picky dvd reader (doesnt like dvd-Rs try dvd+Rs have better compatibility)

so what i recommend is this:

check md5sum first of original 2961b0ae20be43b242702e4afa57347c *KNOPPIX_V4.0-2005-06-08-LINUXTAG2005-DVD-DE.ISO

open nero and turn off internet (either through a firewall control or just unplug it)

set nero to high priority in task manager (theres a setting in nero to do it and set the manual memory thing to max its in nero settings i use nero version 6)

btw, while ur in task manager, cut of programs that suck memory (like browsers, java engine, utilities that stuff shut of av if you want)

nothing in the background, go to top and select burn image in the menus

inspect a blank dvd for any kind of defect i recommend good media, not the cheap ones even though they are expensive, they have a better coating on them

select finalize dvd put a blank disc in set it to lowest burn speed (4x usually is okay)

make sure everything is set (go to the other tabs in the window and make sure its set to data mode 1 u shouldnt have to touch it)

everything check click BURN

when done burning, inspect dvd in the light for any defects (well you should of have done this before burning)

shut down computer

start computer press del, or whatever F key you need to get into bios

set to CD ROM first

put it in

boot and see if it skips it or goes straight into knoppix

if doesnt work, it probably is something wonky with the bios (check the motherboard manufacturer and see if you can obtain a update for your motherboard bios they might of added extra support for your dvd reader!!!!)

then if nothing to no avail, it probably is the setup of your optical drives

post again if it doesnt work

best regards,

jc

justin_c
06-28-2005, 07:21 PM
oh yea, even if you downloaded via bittorrent I DONT TRUST THE BUILT IN DATA VERIFICATION NO MATTER WHAT

USE MD5SUM always or sha1 even better

Chthonic Miasma
06-28-2005, 07:51 PM
i have no idea how to use MD5SUM or SHA1......lol

yes knoppix works with the cds 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 (although 3.8.2 had a hardware recognition problem)

Harry Kuhman
06-28-2005, 07:56 PM
i have no idea how to use MD5SUM or SHA1......lol
Do you know how to use Google? Is there some reason why you would not do a simple search on md5 before posting the above? Is there something funny about your lack of knowledge? I'm sure all of us didn't know about md5 at some point, but most looked it up rather than finding it a source of amusement.

Chthonic Miasma
06-28-2005, 07:59 PM
the point of my last reply was to answer his question, and i thought i might as well point that out while i was at it, and immediately after posting such, i did find out what to do.

Chthonic Miasma
06-28-2005, 09:52 PM
passed the MD5, followed your steps, finalized, the files are on the DVD, but it still won't boot. the updated BIOS doesn't affect the boot pattern. anything else?

UnderScore
06-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Maybe its the DVD ISO itself is not compatible with your systems boot sequence and/or DVD drive. One way of narrowing it down would be to try a burn of Knoppxi 3.9 & see if the system will boot off of it. If you do not want to download another 700MB you could try to boot off of Damn Small Linux http://damnsmalllinux.org/ which is 50MB ISO file. If Knoppix 3.9 or DSL fails to boot then you might look into a boot manager called smart boot manager. You can google smart boot manager for more info & you can find other folks who have used it by searching the forums for sbm.
I hope this helps.
James

Chthonic Miasma
06-28-2005, 10:51 PM
3.7-3.9 all boot on this computer fine, and 3.8.2 only had a hardware issue, but the dvd doesnt even give a try

Chthonic Miasma
06-29-2005, 05:32 AM
ah, the dvd player is slave, but it doesn't give me the option to make it master, only to turn it on or off

Harry Kuhman
06-29-2005, 05:46 AM
but it doesn't give me the option to make it master, only to turn it on or off
What is it? I've never seen an IDE DVD drive that could not be made a master, and have never seen an option to "turn it on or off". What are you looking at?

Chthonic Miasma
06-29-2005, 05:50 AM
looking through my drives in my BIOS, it identifies my CD-ROM as and IDE Master, and my DVD-ROM as slave, the only option i can change on either of them is to enable or disable use of them

Harry Kuhman
06-29-2005, 06:22 AM
You don't make a drive master or slave in the BIOS, you do it with jumpers on the back of the drive. If you do make the DVD drive the master you will have to make the current master drive on the same cable a slave, you can't have 2 masters on one IDE bus.

You obviously have no experience with this. It's easy enough to do, but I'm not advising you to do it. I have no idea of your capability.

Chthonic Miasma
06-29-2005, 08:38 AM
i know the tabs on the back that choose between master and slave, but it sounded like he was linking it to the BIOS. Just because i'm a programmer and built my own computer doesn't mean i know everything. my question then is this, after analyzing a friends computer, 4.0 will boot on his slave dvd-rom, what other problems could be the cause?

Harry Kuhman
06-29-2005, 09:04 AM
If you read through these forums (forgive me for such a foolish suggestion) you'll find hundreds of strange things that might keep a hunk of media from booting. Your theory that your system might only be willing to boot from the master device seemed as good as any to me. But since you've now convinced yourself that can not be it because of something a completely different system does, why not try an experiment that would be even less work than moving the two little jumpers: try booting a Knoppix CD in the DVD drive. If it boots then it seems that the BIOS is able to boot from a slave device and so the master/slave thing likely (but not certainly) isn't the issue. If your BIOS will not boot a CD either from the slave device then that's very likely the issue. You did say previously:

3.7-3.9 all boot on this computer fine, and 3.8.2 only had a hardware issue, but the dvd doesnt even give a try but you didn't tell us which drive you were booting the CD from. So you might have already done this but we have no way of knowing since you didn't say which drive you used to boot the CD. Your "but the dvd doesnt even give a try" statement sure seems to indicate that the BIOS isn't even spinning up the slave drive.

cookingout
06-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Just a suggestion, I have a computer at work that the DVD drive is configured as Master and the CD burner is Slave. Since the computer is shared and not mine I decided not to change anything. However, when I turn my Primary/Master (DVD) drive off in the BIOS the PC will boot from the Secondary/Slave (CD Burner) drive. After my Knoppix CD boots, Knoppix sees both CD and DVD drive (since it does not take the BIOS setting as serious as Windows does). This allows me to use whichever drive I wish using the BIOS setting like a switch. The only problem I have is when I forget to turn both drives back on in the BIOS, the poor Windows users whine because they have one drive that does not get detected.

justin_c
06-29-2005, 05:18 PM
search through these forums should be the first thing you should of done (im not flaming you or anything just a suggestion that should be done)

try sbm smart boot manager or a boot floppy which supports optical devices

tell me the specs of your pc, specifically your motherboard (mobo)
and if you get a glimpse, tell me the specific bios version ill check on google for you

best regards,

jc

Chthonic Miasma
06-30-2005, 05:46 AM
thanx to everyone for the assistance, cookingouts experience was very helpful, as soon as i disabled my standard CD-ROM the boot went seamlessly. i've now switched the master and slave drives and am having no further problems. thanx to JC, and the unneeded but still respected sarcasm from Harry