PDA

View Full Version : Problem assigning Static IP for cable internet URGENT!

cooldude_i2k
06-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi friends i m not able to access my internet connection in Knoppix 3.3,
I hav taken cable internet connection which assigns a static IP to each user.
The details i require to connect in MS windows is
IP : 172.16.3.207
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 172.16.1.1
DNS : 172.16.1.1

When i configure net work using command netcardconfig and specify the above details it says 172.16.1.1 host unreachable.
Also when i ping my gateway i.e 172.16.1.1 from windows then it gives no reply but my connection works properly in windows and 172.16.1.1 is used to login for my net connection. I think it's behind firewall. so please help me solving my problem and tel me stepwise procedure how to setup network with the above details. also please mention wat to enter in BROADCAST and Name server.

kirol
06-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Something looks wrong in your parameters. Given your netmask, IP and GW wouldn't sit on the same network (172.16.3 vs 172.16.1). Maybe (wild guess) you could try 172.16.3.1 as GW ?

cooldude_i2k
06-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Something looks wrong in your parameters. Given your netmask, IP and GW wouldn't sit on the same network (172.16.3 vs 172.16.1). Maybe (wild guess) you could try 172.16.3.1 as GW ?
The gateway isfixed and works fine in windows..

Harry Kuhman
06-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Let me first say that you should be able to resolve this problem without any extra hardware.

That said, I would never operate a high speed connection on the Internet without a router (which includes a hardware firewall). This is important for Linux and absolutely critical for Windows victi...err, users. And a router will solve this and many other networking problems. It establishes and maintains the connection to the ISP and then hands out local address by dhcp to all the computers on your local network. These small devices used to cost nearly $200 for a basic wired 4 port version. I got one five years ago and paid over $00 for it and still got a good deal, They are now commonly available, often at $10 or less after rebate in the US, and many include wireless capability as well as wired (getting wireless working in Knoppix is a different issue though).

Do yourself a big favor and get a router and make this problem go away. As a side effect you'll have a much more secure system (after you rid yourself of the viruses that got into your Windows system before you had the router) and the basis of a home local area network.

cooldude_i2k
06-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Let me first say that you should be able to resolve this problem without any extra hardware.

That said, I would never operate a high speed connection on the Internet without a router (which includes a hardware firewall). This is important for Linux and absolutely critical for Windows victi...err, users. And a router will solve this and many other networking problems. It establishes and maintains the connection to the ISP and then hands out local address by dhcp to all the computers on your local network. These small devices used to cost nearly $200 for a basic wired 4 port version. I got one five years ago and paid over $00 for it and still got a good deal, They are now commonly available, often at $10 or less after rebate in the US, and many include wireless capability as well as wired (getting wireless working in Knoppix is a different issue though).

Do yourself a big favor and get a router and make this problem go away. As a side effect you'll have a much more secure system (after you rid yourself of the viruses that got into your Windows system before you had the router) and the basis of a home local area network.

I can't change n e thing coz it's der propery i.e ISP's property and the above IP and GW works fine in windows.
Just tel me dat cn i connect to network even if i don't get ping reply from GW.

gfreeves
06-29-2005, 05:58 PM
No, if you can't get to the gateway (GW) you can't get to the network, since the gateway is the doorway to the network. If you can't Ping the GW, something is bad wrong.

cooldude_i2k
06-30-2005, 05:45 AM
No, if you can't get to the gateway (GW) you can't get to the network, since the gateway is the doorway to the network. If you can't Ping the GW, something is bad wrong.

Thankz 4 ur support...