PDA

View Full Version : Computer hangs on "DHCP Broadcasting for IP"

SNES350
06-29-2005, 04:53 AM
I downloaded (an ISO of) Knoppix 3.9 and burned it, but when I booted the PC I wanted it for, it hung at "Network drive eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP". I left it alone for 20 minutes, and nothing happened. The burned disc worked fine in another PC I tried it in (connected to the same router).

(added after trying something) I got it to boot using the Cheat Code nodhcp at the initial boot: prompt, so I guess that makes this whole post moot.

Harry Kuhman
06-29-2005, 05:40 AM
I downloaded (an ISO of) Knoppix 3.9 and burned it, but when I booted the PC I wanted it for, it hung at "Network drive eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP". I left it alone for 20 minutes, and nothing happened. The burned disc worked fine in another PC I tried it in (connected to the same router).

(added after trying something) I got it to boot using the Cheat Code nodhcp at the initial boot: prompt, so I guess that makes this whole post moot.
Not really, you would like it to do dhcp properly and have it get the setup from the router.

Can you do a netcardconfig and get an automatic setup after booting?

If not, can you do a netcardconfig and manually do the setting and have the card work?

About the only case of this I remember seeing reported here was someone who was using a router that has a feature that will only let NICs who's MAC address is in a router table have access. And on top of that, for some reason we never resolved, the MAC address was different under Knoppix!!! So you might check if your router has that feature and disable it if it does, at leat long enough to test. What brand router is it anyway? And you are hardwired to that router, not wireless, right?

SNES350
06-29-2005, 04:45 PM

Not really, you would like it to do dhcp properly and have it get the setup from the router.

Can you do a netcardconfig and get an automatic setup after booting?

If not, can you do a netcardconfig and manually do the setting and have the card work?

About the only case of this I remember seeing reported here was someone who was using a router that has a feature that will only let NICs who's MAC address is in a router table have access. And on top of that, for some reason we never resolved, the MAC address was different under Knoppix!!! So you might check if your router has that feature and disable it if it does, at leat long enough to test. What brand router is it anyway? And you are hardwired to that router, not wireless, right?
It hangs if I go to the network card configuartion thing (sorry don't remember exactly what it is) while inside Knoppix as well. All my computer's are connected to a Linksys WRT54GS, which is connected to my DSL modem (is it called a modem?). We have a notebook that is connected via wireless, but the computer in question is hardwired. I tried to manually configure it, but I guess at the last few things, just pointing them to my router, and it couldn't find any websites in Konquerer or Firefox. Right now the computer in question is installing Debian, but there is another computer besides this one (the one I tried after the old computer) I could use with Knoppix.

NotEmul8d
07-02-2005, 02:14 PM
i am having this same issue, except that:

1) i'm using Knoppix 4.0 DVD (linuxtag)
2) it happens on 2 computers
3) the same kind of NIC is in both machines: DEC DE-500B (21143 chipset)

is this a known issue with this NIC?

rwcitek
07-16-2005, 04:44 AM
i am having this same issue, except that:

1) i'm using Knoppix 4.0 DVD (linuxtag)
2) it happens on 2 computers
3) the same kind of NIC is in both machines: DEC DE-500B (21143 chipset)

is this a known issue with this NIC?
I had a similar issue with Knoppix versions that used the 2.6.x kernels. Knoppix would load the wrong module for the NIC. The solution was to unload the wrong module with rmmod, load the correct module with modprobe, and then start pump with 'pump -k ; pump -i eth0'. For me the wrong module was tulip and the correct module was de2104x.

Post the output of 'lspci' and we might be able to make a guess for you. Otherwise have a look at the available modules in /lib/modules/2.6*/kernel/drivers/net/ and experiment by loading and unloading modules until one works for you.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/

SNES350
07-21-2005, 04:56 PM
I had a similar issue with Knoppix versions that used the 2.6.x kernels. Knoppix would load the wrong module for the NIC. The solution was to unload the wrong module with rmmod, load the correct module with modprobe, and then start pump with 'pump -k ; pump -i eth0'. For me the wrong module was tulip and the correct module was de2104x.

Post the output of 'lspci' and we might be able to make a guess for you. Otherwise have a look at the available modules in /lib/modules/2.6*/kernel/drivers/net/ and experiment by loading and unloading modules until one works for you.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert
lspci output a bunch of stuff, but for ethernet controller, it output:
Digital Equipment Corperation DECchip 21142/43 (rev 41)

(assuming you were also talking to me)

rwcitek
07-21-2005, 05:51 PM
lspci output a bunch of stuff, but for ethernet controller, it output:
Digital Equipment Corperation DECchip 21142/43 (rev 41)
I'm curious to know what module, if any, Knoppix loaded for your NIC. Please post the output of 'lspci | grep -i decchip' Also, please post the output of 'lsmod'

Regards,
- Robert

NotEmul8d
07-21-2005, 06:48 PM
lspci | grep -i decchip output (on both of my machines):

0000:00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43 (rev 30)

in lsmod, it looks like the 'de4x5' driver is loaded.

also: using the previously posted information, regarding using rmmod to remove the loaded module & modprobe to load in the proper module: i've rmmod'd the de4x5 module, and have tried using both the tulip and the de2104x modules with no success. :( the positive thing is, the machine doesn't lock up dead when i attempt to use pump on the interfaces.

rwcitek
07-21-2005, 07:00 PM
in lsmod, it looks like the 'de4x5' driver is loaded.
While de4x5 is the correct module for 2.4 kernels, from what I've read, the correct driver for the 2.6 kernel (i.e. knoppix versions 3.8 or later) is tulip. So, type the following as root:

rmmod de4x5
modprobe tulip
ifconfig -a
If you see your network interface, try getting an IP address with this:

pump -k
pump -i eth0

Let us know how that goes.

Regards,
- Robert

NotEmul8d
07-21-2005, 07:16 PM
oops- i spoke too soon in my edit... also: i'm a dumbass. :)

i failed to realise that in one of the machines (the one i'm testing this on), there is another nic (on the motherboard), and it comes up as eth0.. so changing to the tulip module and using pump on eth0 wasn't doing any good, as i don't use the on-board nic. using 'pump -i eth1' seemed to do the trick after following your instructions. :)

now, the question that remains to me is: why is this nic being seen as de4x5 rather than tulip? it's not *that* big of a deal to manually do this stuff when booting off a cd/dvd, but obviously it'd be nice if one didn't have to jump those hoops! :)

thank you very much for the help & responses to get this thing working. now i can really play with this thing!

rwcitek
07-21-2005, 08:12 PM
using 'pump -i eth1' seemed to do the trick after following your instructions.
So to summarize, if you have a "Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43 (rev 30)" card and the de4x5 module is loaded, then to enable networking you must do the following:

rmmod de4x5
modprobe tulip
pump -k
pump -i eth0
Of course, change eth0 to your actual interface.

Regards,
- Robert

NotEmul8d
07-21-2005, 08:14 PM
yessir, that works for me. perhaps it'll work for the other fellow, too..