PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix can't get to the Internet

username11
06-29-2005, 05:52 AM
Sorry, but I have another question.... Why can't I get onto the internet while using Knoppix. I tried searching for the answer, but none really helped. I know that you, Harry Kuhman, have said to get a router in many threads, but I already have a router... I am a complete noobie, so please help out.

Harry Kuhman
06-29-2005, 06:10 AM
I know that you, Harry Kuhman, have said to get a router....
Perhaps you could give us a little information?

You're using a wired connection, right?

What happens? Do you get any error? Can you tell us anything about your NIC? Tell us what ifconfig says. Tell us what happend when you so a netcardconfig.

What brand router? Does it have a feature that only lets certain MAC addresses access it, and do you have that enabled? If so turn it off and do anpther test.

I doubt if anyone will be able to offer more help unless you give a few details.

I'll give you time to reply, but I'm planning on splitting this off into it's own thread and moving it to the networking forum.

username11
06-29-2005, 06:37 AM
I'll try to be as specific as possible, but I don't know the answers to a lot of the questions you are asking.

I have a 2wire Home Portal 1000hg, which is wired. Usually a green light is on above the "local network" text, but when I use knoppix, that light isn't green or any other color. I don't get any error or anything, but when I try to use firefox or any other browser, it says it is unable to find any page.....

I don't know what "ifconfig", "netcardconfig", or "NIC" is, and I don't know if it my router has a feature that only lets certain MAC addresses access it.

This is my first day with Knoppix, so I really don't know anything, so thanks for being patient.

username11

Harry Kuhman
06-29-2005, 07:05 AM
OK, a little Google searching told me this (http://computershopper.com.com/2Wire_HomePortal_1800HW/4514-3319_7-30650457.html) about the 2wire Home Portal 1000hg. So we at least know what you're working with.

It does have wireless capability but you say that you are trying to get a wired connection working. Good.

I haven't found the manual for it yet, but I'll assume that even if it does have a feature to limit access to only certain MAC addresses that you have not enabled it. So unless there is something that you're not saying (like Daddy might have enabled it), then we should assume that is not the issue.

A NIC is a Network Interface Card. The thing in you computer that the Ethernet cable plugs into. Do you know the brand? Do you know the speed? Can you get any information about it from the System Manager in Windows? Knowing what hardware you're dealing with would help a lot here.

ifconfig and netcardconfig are commands that you can run in Knoppix. ifconfig is similar to the windows command ipconfig (run from a DOS command prompt). In Linux you would open a shell (a command prompt in windows speak) and type in ifconfig. There are also some options on ifconfig you can try. To see more information on ifconfig type man ifconfig at the shell prompt. You can open a shell with one of the little icons on the bottom of the Linux screen or from options in the menu (there are other ways too, better left unmentioned for now).

netcardconfig is another command. You can find it right in the Knoppix menu or you can just type netcardconfig in as a shell prompt. And for more information on netcardconfig type man netcardconfig at a shell prompt.

username11
06-29-2005, 06:29 PM
OK, I went into Knoppix, and into the 'Terminal, and typed the following things, and got the following answers: (words in bold are what I typed, the code is what I recieved.) The spacing of the code might be off, because I had to re-type it in order to send it to you.

MAN IFCONFIG

IFCONFIG(8) Linux PROGRAMMER’S manual IFCONFIG(8)

NAME
ifconfig – configure a network interface

SYNOPSIS
Ifconfig [interface]
Ifconfig interface [aftype] options | address …

DESCRIPTION
Ifconfig is used to configure the kernel-resident network interfaces.
It is used at boot time to set up interfaces as necessary. After
that, it is usually only needed when debugging or when system tuning
is needed.

If no arguments are gives, ifconfig displays the status of the cur-
rently active interfaces. If a single interface argument is given, it
Displays the status of the given interface only; if a single –a argu-
ment is given, it displays the status of all interfaces, even those
that are down. Otherwise, it configures an interface.

Address Families
If the fist argument after the interface name is recognized as the Manual page
ifconfig(8) line 1

IFCONFIG

lo Linkencap:Local Loopback
Inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
Collision:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:600 (600.0b) TX bytes:600 (600.0b)

NETCARDCONFIG

Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0Operation failed.
Failed.
Hit return to exit.

MAN NETCARDCONFIG

No manual entry for netcardconfig
See ‘man 7 undocumented’ for help when manual pages are not available.

Also, I do not have a Network Interface Card, because the ethernet cable is plugged into the motherboard, not into any PCI card...'

tdjokic
06-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Also, I do not have a Network Interface Card, because the ethernet cable is plugged into the motherboard, not into any PCI card...Yes, you do, but this is integrated NIC. Functionaly, it is the same thing if it is a separate card.

Harry Kuhman
06-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Also, I do not have a Network Interface Card, because the ethernet cable is plugged into the motherboard, not into any PCI card...'
There is no need to type in the results of a man command, they are just help files that we all have, I mentioned them so you could learn more about the commands you were using.

As already said, you have a NIC integrated onto your motherboard. It might help if we new the motherboard so somone with the same board could tell you about Knoppix support for it.

username11
06-29-2005, 09:02 PM
http://img167.echo.cx/img167/6922/motherboardproperties0yi.jpg