PDA

View Full Version : Booting from the CD-ROM drive

apu222
12-27-2002, 03:51 AM
I am having trouble setting up my computer to boot with the CD-ROM. Any ideas? :?:

A. Jorge Garcia
12-27-2002, 04:34 AM
Many PCs let you modify the BIOS boot options at boot-up by hitting <DEL> or <F1> - you'll have to RTFM that came with your machine!

There you can change the boot options. Make the first boot drive the CD drive. If you PC dosn't support this, then make the first boot device the floppy drive and make a boot disk!

Goos Luck,

Loper
12-27-2002, 05:00 AM
<snip>
I am having trouble setting up my computer to boot with the CD-ROM.
</snip>

Once you get into your BIOS setup-screen -- usually via the [Del] or [F1] key -- look for an item labeled "boot order" or something similar. On some newer BIOSes, you can select them individually: "First Device" and so on. The sub-menu screen these are under is usually labeled "Advanced Options" or similar. In most older BIOSes, the selections are shuffed on a rotating basis; of course, you want the CD-ROM to be first.

If you can't find the manual for details, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download it; they are usually available in PDF format. If you have never upgraded your BIOS, I would recommend downloading an update at the same time.

Worst case, post more details for more feedback -- you didn't give enough information in your first message for more than I've given here.