PDA

View Full Version : Internet seems to work, but browsers hang up

kynax
06-30-2005, 03:06 AM
Hi

I've tried using several Knoppix version (namely 3.8.1, 3.8.2 and 3.9) and they all seem to have the same problem.
I can connect to the internet fine (i get my ip and stuff from dhcp) and i can connect to msn/icq via Gaim without trouble.
However, when I type an url in Konqueror (or whatever's the browser name), it hangs up and I have to reboot. Also, whenever I click Firefox, it hangs before a window appears and again I have to reboot.
I think the problem occurs with IRC (xIRC i think) when I try to connect to a server.

The network card seems fine and all since I can get files from shared drives on other computers...

Help...

Harry Kuhman
06-30-2005, 04:09 AM
The network card seems fine and all since I can get files from shared drives on other computers....
Yup, NIC must be working. Sounds like a configuration issue but that seems strange with a dhcp setup. Can you ping 216.32.81.146 from a shell? If so, can you ping www.knoppix.net? Anything strange under ifconfig? You are running from CD, are you not?

kynax
06-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Im running the ISO directly from my HD, so yes, technically I'm running from the CD...
And for now, I have no partition on which to save my configs since my laptop only has NTFS partitions :(

Harry Kuhman
06-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Im running the ISO directly from my HD, so yes, technically I'm running from the CD........(
What happens if you boot the CD and run from there?

kynax
06-30-2005, 08:08 PM
i dont have the cd... I'm using GRUB to launch directly from the iso on my main partition

bubblesam07
07-09-2005, 08:53 PM
:cry:
I have having a similar problem. I can use the internet just fine but in the middle of say opening a page or uploading a file the browser window just closes out. and then it takes forever to reload a window again.

I am running off the cd, (cuz I can't seem to get it to run from the HD)

any suggestions?

Harry Kuhman
07-09-2005, 09:52 PM
I have having a similar problem. ....

any suggestions?
My suggestion would be the same that I made to kynax but never got any feedback on, the simple test of pinging the IP address and the URL. ifconfig information might be helpful for you too, as well as all the hard details on your "similar" configuration.

kynax
07-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Sorry for the delay, my comp wasn't available for a few days

Ok, I tried what you suggested...

I can ping both the IP you gave me and www.knoppix.net, along with www.google.ca and all the sites i've tried

I ran ifconfig, here's what shows up:

eth0
link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:29:4E:CD:AB
inet addr: 192.168.1.114 Bcast: 192.168.1.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets: 44 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:5562 (5.4 KiB) TX bytes: 4390 (4.2 KiB)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xb800

and the local loopback, which is useless in this case

Appart from the Ip adresses and HWaddress, I don't know anything about what this message means, but I guess it looks ok

as for my hardware, if i can help:
Duron 850
256mb SD-RAM (using either 32 or 64 mb as ramdrive)
I'm pretty sure the ethernet card is a Linksys, and it works fine in Windows and Knoppix as far as local network is concerned.
I also have 3 sound cards (2 PCI and 1 ISA)... maybe the interupts are conflicting, but again, it works fine in Windows.

Harry Kuhman
07-12-2005, 12:45 AM
I can ping both the IP you gave me and www.knoppix.net, along with www.google.ca and all the sites i've tried
If you can ping by URL as well as by IP address then it tells me that your TCP/IP stack is working fine, including DNS settings (I had expected the problem to be a DNS configuraion issue, it is not).

Im running the ISO directly from my HD, so yes, technically I'm running from the CD...
Would you mind doing a simple test and seeing what happens when you really run from the CD rather than running from HD and claiming that it's technically the same? When I run from CD I sure don't have the problem that you have, and if DNS lookup is right and you TCP/IP stack is clearly working than I can't imagine what the problem could be other than my guess that you had "installed" to HD but not wanted to mention it. Make a CD if need be.

maxIT
07-16-2005, 09:31 PM
I hope don't saying a very stupid thing, but maybe this doesn't concern netcards or network but with cpu power.
I've experienced freeziong problems in my celerons 1 GHZ with 3.8, but don't with 3.4. I've tryed as test just load both knoppix 3.4 and 3.8 and just run galaga (yes, the game), after few minutes 3.8 freeze it. Not any kinds of problems with high powered processors. Maybe is the 2.6 vs. 2.4 kernel the issue?

bye, max

foamrotreturns
07-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Would you mind doing a simple test and seeing what happens when you really run from the CD rather than running from HD and claiming that it's technically the same? When I run from CD I sure don't have the problem that you have, and if DNS lookup is right and you TCP/IP stack is clearly working than I can't imagine what the problem could be other than my guess that you had "installed" to HD but not wanted to mention it. Make a CD if need be.
I have done the same thing and it doesn't make any difference to run the ISO from the hard disk. It runs exactly the same way as if from CD. It is quite possible that his ISO is corrupt, but it won't help at all for him to burn a CD of a bad ISO.

kynax
07-22-2005, 01:54 AM
I tried using Kanotix (another Live CD based on Debian) using a poorman's install (same as I used for Knoppix) and it all works fine.

So I think I'll just stick to Kanotix, unless you can prove me that Knoppix is by far superior...