PDA

View Full Version : quick ? hopefully - how to exit from "Manual Page"

|enouf|
06-30-2005, 09:40 AM
hi;
When dropping to Root (CTRL + ALT +F1) and using the man mount command to view the manual contents for the "mount" command (Linux Programmers Manual).....once I've reached the end Line (969?) - I can get back to X using ALT + F5 no problem, but can NOT figure how to exit the man area and Move on to another command -- everytime I press ' m ' I get mark: , any letter entered after that seems to jump to the 1st instance on the page viewed.

I have tried ' ESC ' and all i get is ESC_ and nothin after that , I've tried all forms of CTRL + ? and ALT + ?

Why can't I get back to the prompt while dropped to root ?

what I see exactly is this;
Manual page mount(8) line 919/969 (END)_ and it's all highlighted in grayish, with a blinking cursor, just sitting there mocking me

thanks in advance

*edit;
Well it seems after trying CTRL + ALT +F2 or CTRL + ALT + F3 .....these return me to Root prompt, only after ALT + F5 back to X, and then ctrl+alt+f2/3 does the trick. I still would like to know how to "end" the man command from viewing like that, if possible

kirol
06-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Try "q" (for quit). Man pages can also be viewed within konqueror using the "man:" pseudo-protocol (try "man: mount" in the address bar)

|enouf|
06-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Try "q" (for quit). Man pages can also be viewed within konqueror using the "man:" pseudo-protocol (try "man: mount" in the address bar)
hi;
I'll try ' q ' (but I think I already did - and it jumped to nearest word with q in it) - I know I tried ' quit ' and ' exit '

I know about Konquerer's man:/ protocol and pages - thanks, I was doing something as root (I think I booted as ' knoppix 2' for runlevel2), and wanted to quickly see some info about the mount command, figuring I could easily return to my task -- heck, I forgot what it is that I was doing, b/c I got stuck and that consumed all my energy/focus.

If anyone gets a chance - give it a shot and then get out of it, and let me know how you did it plz - thanks

*edit
YES ... ' q ' by itelf works fine ..thanks for that - I tried it when booted into ' knoppix 2' - and also when switching back and forth when booted fully to the KDE desktop and using ctrl+alt+f2 (and/or f3 and f4) to get to root and then alt+f5 to return to X11. Weird that ctrl+alt+f1 doesn't display a root@tty[/] prompt - it does show a blinking cursor though, where it left off from when it init.d and loaded KDE (IOW - the initial Boot screen -> Starting X11)
/*edit

So...
after seeing my etc/fstab and etc/inittab files - I thought perhaps I could edit them, but I don't think it's possible in ' cloop ' or ' / ' (remember, booted from LiveCD here). So I looked at my configs.tbz and knoppix.sh files (Saved Knoppix Config) and found etc/fstab and I'd like to edit it. But I found tbz is a funky Tar + B2zip combo or something.

Tried some funky combos of commands to extract/open the file for editing;
/mnt/hda8
(where configs.tbz and knoppix.sh reside - within config.tbz are /etc/fstab and etc/inittab files)

gunzip --get blah blah blah (I can't recall exactly right now)
tar --get -N configs.tbz --get fstab (something along those lines)

kirol
07-05-2005, 10:53 AM
One shouldn't need to mess with configs.tbz. Just edit /etc/fstab the way you want it; then re-save your config. I think this should work as knoppix will auto-build an fstab on next reboot, and then overwrite it with the version extracted from the tbz...

|enouf|
07-06-2005, 11:53 PM
One shouldn't need to mess with configs.tbz. Just edit /etc/fstab the way you want it; then re-save your config. I think this should work as knoppix will auto-build an fstab on next reboot, and then overwrite it with the version extracted from the tbz...

umm... that's what I originally intended to do, but can NOT edit file /etc/fstab -

error message says;

"The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to file:/etc/fstab.
Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disc space is available."

* no permission
* won't save any changes
* which /etc/fstab do you mean (<- there are atleast 3 of them)