PDA

View Full Version : HELP... I need help with .deb files!

mattrock1988
06-30-2005, 09:51 PM
OK:

My situation is as follows, I can't install any .deb packages in KPackage Manager. I even created a persistent HOME dir in KNOPPIX and that didn't work. The result number was 2 and the message stated that I was working in a read-only file system. Can you please help me?

Mattrock

UnderScore
06-30-2005, 10:05 PM
What version of Knoppix are you running? Are you running from CD or has it been installed to the hard drive?

Starting with Knoppix 3.8 Cebit Edition, Knoppix uses a feature UnionFS to allow modification to a running read-only CDROM based filesystem. This means that you can install or remove packages/programs on a Knoppix CD. Prior to Knoppix 3.8 this was only possible for those packages that install to the users home directory or if the user uses a package installer like Klik. Knoppix version 3.8 Cebit Edition, 3.8.1, 3.8.2 and 4.0 have a working stable version of UnionFS. Knoppix 3.9 does not and if you try to install a package, it will probably crash the system.

gnukish
07-01-2005, 03:40 PM
If u use hd install , get the packages (native debs) @ http://packages.debian.org/stable