PDA

View Full Version : persistent home over the network

Ambrose
07-01-2005, 10:00 AM
I want to boot Knoppix over the network, using the knoppix-terminalserver and PXE to boot. That I'm having no problem with

What I would really like to do is be able to setup a persistent home directory on a samba share on a linux server in my network. Weather it is mounted on bootup or once knoppix is fully loaded, it doesn't really matter.

The idea is that I can sit down at any computer in my house, and boot off of the network, enter my user/pass to the main linux server, and be up and running in Knoppix with my home directory right in front of me; no matter which computer I was in front of!

Any ideas?! Thx,

- ambrose

ockham23
07-06-2005, 09:52 PM
The idea is that I can sit down at any computer in my house, and boot off of the network, enter my user/pass to the main linux server, and be up and running in Knoppix with my home directory right in front of me; no matter which computer I was in front of!

I achieved this using a different approach: I installed Kanotix (a Knoppix derivative) on the server, where I have created a user account with a permanent home directory and a software environment customized to my needs. Upon start up, I run the terminal server script and also start FreeNX server. This allows me to boot any client over the network and to log on to the server simply by running NXclient on the client. It's like logging on to your account on a mainframe computer, it doesn't matter which terminal you use.