PDA

View Full Version : Boot knoppix without CD-ROOM

spid3r
07-01-2005, 04:50 PM
hi

how can i boot knoppix and other ISO filez from my HDD without extract or install the ISO file

i don't have cd-room so how can i make afloppy disk to boot the desired ISO from HDD

another Question

what i type 2 knoppix prompt to boot root shell only not graphical interface KDE?

chris-harry
07-02-2005, 10:59 AM
you can do

a.) HDD install
b.) have knoppix on a USB stick...

Cuddles
07-02-2005, 02:00 PM
spid3r,

My guess is, check out the ¨Documentation¨ section, found here on this site - either that - or do a search for the topic within Knoppix.net

What issues you have with your systems configuration, i.e. not having a CD-ROM device, have come up in these forums before, and I am quite sure that they had gotten a resolve for it. Not sure if the resolve made it into documentation, or not, hence the thoughts of checking the Documentation first, and then falling back to searching the forums.

What you will need, from what I can figure, is: a floppy that boots Knoppix ( partly, and enough to ¨point it¨ over to the hard drive ), and the ISO image on the hard drive. Ive never done this, but have heard people doing it - so it can be done... And it doesnt require you to hard drive ¨INSTALL¨ Knoppix on your system.

Hope this has helped, a little,
Ms. Cuddles

spid3r
07-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanx for reply but ,
i make 2 bootable floppy disk form knoppix and it works fine and give me Boot: prompt wehn boot from this floppy
but when i typed "knoppix boot from=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso
it give me this error
" can't find knoppix file system, sorry dropping you to very limited shell
press reset button to quit " and give me ashell with 4 cmds

and is there any prog to boot any other iso file from HD without burning them

thanx

kirol
07-05-2005, 08:15 PM
knoppix boot from=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso
The cheatcode is "bootfrom", in one word.

spid3r
07-09-2005, 12:48 PM
i did "knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso" but the same problem occur

" can't find knoppix file system, sorry dropping you to very limited shell
press reset button to quit "