PDA

View Full Version : Pen Drive and cameras not seen.

Keithj
07-02-2005, 02:49 AM
Running Knoppix 3.8.2 installed on hard drive, Pentium 600, 50GB hard drive, networked. Some minor problems (posted elsewhere).

I connected a USB hub (externally powered) and Linux sees it, no problem. If I connect my mouse via it, rather than direct, the mouse works fine. I conclude the hub is OK.

However, I cannot get Linux to work with digital camera, my webcam, or a pen drive when connected via the hub or direct.. All three appear in USB viewer, with their details. I can't copy and paste the detail that shows (USB Viewer won't do that).

I tried for the pen drive "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive" and got the answer "dev/sda1 is not a valid block device."

I don't know the equivalent commands for the webcam or the Pentax EI-200 (which is the same as the HP Photosmart 618).

What should I be doing to get these three devices to work with Knoppix-on-HD?

PS: I tried to install usbmount via Kpackage, and got the following response (several times):

< export DEBIAN_FRONTEND; apt-get install --yes 'usbmount' ;echo RESULT=$?
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
usbmount: Depends: udev (>= 0.053-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
RESULT=100

UnderScore
07-02-2005, 02:56 AM
USB devices as of late have had so many problems: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82161#82161

3. tried to mount my Lexar usb drive where I keep my install goodies. Wouldn't mount .... DMESG showed SDA1 now called UBA1..... why ???
This is due to a linux kernel change. The very brain of the OS, the Linux kernel version 2.6.x, the internal architechture has changed and this has resulted in USB devices mapped to /dev/uba. Yes this is frustrating but going forward, this may be a permanent change. It is more logical to have USB devices at a /dev/uba1 as opposed to /dev/sda1 because /dev/sd? was created years ago for SCSI devices.This change occured in the time between Knoppix 3.7 & 3.8.x and the change is resident in Knoppix 3.8.x & up. I could be totally wrong, but you might want to run
dmesg | grep -i ub and
dmesg | grep -i sd and see what the USB device is listed under.
I hope this helps.
James

Keithj
07-02-2005, 03:49 PM
So easy when you know, isn't it! Thanks! Pen drive appeared immediately I did the "mount" command with it as uba1..

Now to experiment with the digital camera.

Much appreciated.

Keithj
07-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Yes, both pen drive and digital camera are there, as uba1 and ubb1, as long as they are pluuged in when I switch on. A "mount" command will set them up.

Next question: what do I put into /etc/fstab so that they are automatically mounted and remounted if they are present? The "mount" command doesn't write fstab, and if I unplug and then reconnect them, Linux gets very upset about that.

The webcam doesn't work, but I'm pretty sure that's a driver problem. I'll go after that when I've got the basics working.