PDA

View Full Version : Trying to delete knoppix , how do i fix the MBR in Win ME?

johnsmith01
07-02-2005, 09:08 AM
can someone help me with this i know the fixmbr , but i can't use it cause im using ME , i'm tired of knoppix it just uninstalled my sound card , so i;m planning to use another distro

johnsmith01
07-02-2005, 10:01 AM
btw hmm my soundcard stop working when i play a file it says that the card is configured correctly and the harware is present and the plugin are all correct , when i use alsa-conf it doesn't work , it says that the drivers donmt work

this came up

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

admin@LinuxServer:~$ artswrapper
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)

Keithj
07-02-2005, 11:13 PM
I went through similar grief with my soundcard, which now works fine following a "kludge" with alsaconf. I was getting error messages identical to yours.

The biggest problem was the effect of aRts... on the whole setup. I get lots of error messages from it, but can't uninstall it. If I try to remove it, Kpackage lists every bit of software on the machine and says it will uninstall all of that if I remove aRts... It's still there, but the kludge gets round it From what I've read elsewhere, the Knoppix sound problem is very machine and soundcard specific: my P600 and Creative SB16 can be got to work with Knoppix 3.8.2.

johnsmith01
07-03-2005, 11:04 AM
my soundcard problem is solved, i used the apt-get dist-upgrade , and it upgraded the alsaconf so i ran it and configured it again, anyways i still want to get rid of my version of linux , i want something more professional to handle a server

gnukish
07-03-2005, 12:39 PM
i want something more professional to handle a server

Good joke..... I should say coz, linux servers are the best.

johnsmith01
07-04-2005, 02:54 AM
dude , read it again , i meant a want a more professional distro like SUSE or Red hat

gnukish
07-06-2005, 07:49 AM
I understood what was written , in my previous post itself. My view is that RedHat is not the set standard to run servers.
Knoppix HD-Install can also be suitable for running, all kinda servers. The running of the server depends on, configuring it.

Markus
07-06-2005, 08:59 AM
With WinME I believe you use "fdisk /mbr" from a dos boot disk. If you don't have one, try http://www.bootdisk.org/
If you're going to install another distro you might as well let the new one install a bootloader to the MBR and be done with it. It overwrites the knoppix one.
Why not try Debian Sarge if you want a server. That at least is stable and doesn't break like knoppix. Nothing wrong with RH or Suse though.

gnukish
07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Also winme boot cd can be used instead of boot floppy as mentioned by markus.
fdisk /mbr flushes the mbr.

In winxp cd, u can try rescue and fix mbr option to fix it.

Regards

johnsmith01
07-06-2005, 11:55 PM
thanks, i will try it , later im looking at some distros to install em.