PDA

View Full Version : Burning a backup disc using K3b

SweetGuenivere
07-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been looking through the forums and also checking online elsewhere, but I can't seem to find any answers. Here is my situation:

My laptop (Fujitsu Lifebook, Series C, just about one year old) gave me the blue screen of death yesterday as I was sorting through my files to make a backup DVD. Fatal System Error, system has been shut down. It wouldn't even boot into safe mode. So I went onto my stepdad's computer, burned a Live boot CD of Knoppix (V 3.9) and booted it up using that. I can get to my hard drive just fine and all my files are still there, but I am having problems burning my files onto a backup DVD. I have a CD/DVD burner on my laptop, that's not the problem. The problem is, I only have one-- it's the only CD/DVD drive that I have. When I get everything ready in K3b to burn my backup disc, it says to insert a blank DVD... but won't open the drive. Is it even possible for it to eject the live boot disc in order to burn a different disc, or do I need to install another CD/DVD drive and burn it from that one? Or am I (and my laptop) just being dumb?

Any help with this would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Guenivere

Harry Kuhman
07-04-2005, 07:32 PM
If you have 1 gig of memory then you can load Knoppix into memory with the toram cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes). A different alternative would be to use a smaller distro that will fit in 50 megs or so and use the toram option with that. And a better option might be to transfer the files to another computer on a local network.

SweetGuenivere
07-04-2005, 07:36 PM
I couldn't get it to boot the disc to the RAM... I think I may not be understanding when/where exactly to type in the cheat code? I think I would be safer to try to transfer the files through the network onto my stepdad's computer... but I have no idea how to do that...

user unknown
07-05-2005, 02:32 PM
a) zip the files to backup to an big archive (backup.zip)
b) connect the backup with a crosslink-cable to second computer
(a windows-pc? if yes, get the ip by

ipconfig /all or by right-clicking the network symbol, and click and click and click...
c) on the laptop, adjust your ip to be in the same subnet.
If the desktop is 192.168.0.2, make your laptop 192.168.0.5 or something:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.5 up
note: it's ipconfig on win, and ifconfig (InterFace) on linux.
d) on the commandline, start the internet superserver:

inetd
e) from the desktop, connect to the laptop via ftp:

ftp 192.168.0.5
g) move to the directory containing the backup
h)

get backup.zip

if successful, take a big breath and open a bottle, but I guess there will be some problems:
a) maybe you have to be root to use ifconfig and to start inetd
b) to login via ftp, you have to specify an username, which means to create a user on the linux-system first.

SweetGuenivere
07-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks a bunch! I actually switched to Damn Small Linux and burned the backup discs that way, but this helps me a ton too. I really appreciate it!