PDA

View Full Version : How to network 2 Linux HD installs?

bigkahuna
07-05-2005, 03:42 AM
Ok, I spent the big bucks and bought myself a new computer. As you would expect, the first thing I did was to install Kanotix on it!! ;)

So now I have two computer, both running Kanotix 2005-1, both with built-in 10/100 ethernet support. One computer is connected to an external 56k modem (no high speed internet I'm afraid). I'd like to connect the two computers and:

1. Share files back and forth,
2. Allow the 2nd computer to access the internet at the same time as the first one.

Can anyone tell me how? Any n00b tutorials?

Thanks!!

TimWhite
07-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Question 1, the options are fairly exensive.
I'm not going to give you a tutorial on them, but I would think about googling on:

samba (smbmount a samba share - this would also be what you want with windows)
NFS (mount a nfs exported linux share)
ftp (set up an ftp server on one of the boxes and use that)
http (put the files you want to share on a web server on one of theboxes, and use your browser to grab them)
SSH (use sftp or scp)
rsh (remote shell)
rcp (remote copy)

I'm sure there are others that don't pring immediately to mind.

Question 2.
Look at IP_Masq, NAT on http://www.tldp.org

gnukish
07-20-2005, 01:11 AM
For connecting u might need a cheap switch/hub (8 port hub) recommended, or go for single crossover ethernet cables.
Cost less than, hub/switch also economical, but prevents the network from enlarging further.

Then use NFS or Samba to share files back n forth...

For NFS , you need to edit a file called /etc/exports. (edit using vi)

Add the IP and the share name, with permissions required.

To use samba, u need to config smb.conf
just try whereis smb.conf in konsole (in kanotix)

details on config'ing samba will be given inside the smb.conf file.

For further tuts, google.

gnukish
07-20-2005, 01:11 AM
For connecting u might need a cheap switch/hub (8 port hub) recommended, or go for single crossover ethernet cables.
Cost less than, hub/switch also economical, but prevents the network from enlarging further.

Then use NFS or Samba to share files back n forth...

For NFS , you need to edit a file called /etc/exports. (edit using vi)

Add the IP and the share name, with permissions required.

To use samba, u need to config smb.conf
just try whereis smb.conf in konsole (in kanotix)

details on config'ing samba will be given inside the smb.conf file.

For further tuts, google.

Harry Kuhman
07-20-2005, 01:46 AM
Just putting my 2 cents worth on networking in. Yes, a switch is a better choice that cross over cables. If the system is or will be on a high speed connection, a router with a built-in 4 port switch is even a better choice. It will provide a number of benefits including Internet connection sharing, firewall, and more. If needed, ports an be expanded beyond the 4 wired ports on a router with switches or hubs. Switches are almost always the better choice, except in one case. A hub will let you "sniff the wire" and examine packets in a way that a switch will not. It can be handy to do this to solve some complex networking problems, or just to learn more about networking protocols. Yes, there is good packet sniffing software right in Knoppix (ethereal) that you can do this with. And I would hire someone who can actualy solve problems by getting out sniffing software and examining packets over someone who memorized answers for a certification test any day of the week.

As for switches, 5 port switches are currently dirt cheap and usually cost less per useable port than 8 port switches. And give you more flexabaily in location, I suggest most users who don't reason to do otherwise buy 5 port switches. If you have particular network needs that merit 8 port (or larger) switches, you'll know it.

Recently I've seen swtiches as low as $10 (US) and routers with built in switches as low as $5, after rebate. And the routers even usually include one network cable that some sellers might try to charge you that much for just for the cable!