PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid UPS Shutdown while booting knoppix

joselso
07-05-2005, 06:46 PM
This question is being posted as a preventive measure, before encountering trouble:

I have a UPS, constantly monitored using a 9-pin serial port connected to my computer serial COM3 port.

When booting Windows NT or 2000 or XP, a special /NoSerialMice switch in C:\boot.ini file prevents the booting operating system from trying to detect serial mice possibly connected to any COM ports, because such detection sends a DTR command to the serial port and may cause UPS premature Shutdown.

I intend to boot knoppix cd, but I have to be sure beforehand that the booting knoppix operating system will not try to detect serial mice and will not cause UPS premature Shutdown.

What preventive measures should I take?
Is there any "switch" or command available during booting in any version of knoppix cd, that will do the equivalent of the /NoSerialMice switch? Or does knoppix try to detect all hardware immediately as soon as the computer is started?
If so I may have to disconnect the UPS before booting knoppix, and then reconnect it, which is a very unwelcome recurring procedure.

Note that I use a ps/2 mouse.

Please advise.

rwcitek
07-06-2005, 12:13 AM
This question is being posted as a preventive measure, before encountering trouble:
Please advise.
Create a duplicate setup and try it out. There's no other way to know for sure.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/